Hello Everyone, New to it all.
Feb 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BeYourSound

New Head-Fier

Hey everybody,

I'm new here and have a few questions. 

I've searched through the forums for the past month or so, seemed like this one had the most information. Or most amount of quality information.

Right, to the questions. Hopefully they aren't repetitive newb questions, Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm somewhat new to the intense audio game. Currently I have Sennheiser MX470 earbuds and Sony MDR-XB500 headphones.
The MX470 are good for the money ~ $30, little bass but good treble. I like them for portable use.
MDR-XB again good for the money ~ $50, good strong bass, sometimes sounds blah-ish, not as crisp sounding as I would like.

I would like to invest in some new headphones in a couple months. I have been thinking of the Ultrasone hfi-780, would you guys recommend these for me? Not looking to spend more than 200

My music taste, real big into trance.... Above&beyond, Armin, Markus Schulz, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, Sunlounger, etc.
Also into rock/heavy rock.... Killswitch, BFMV, Disturbed, Coheed&Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Old Escape the Fate, Senses Fail, etc.
And also some rap, not really hip-hop.... Eminem, Mobb Deep, Kanye, Young Jeezy, NaS, ect.

So based on my music tastes, would you still recommend the Ultrasone's. Or would you say there are better alternatives in my price range. Also amp information and advice would be nice. I don't know much or understand much about that yet. The headphones would be used mainly at my computer, if that helps? I'm on stock computer soundcard also.

Thanks again.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 5
The HFI-780 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 are two of my favorite cans.  The ATH-M50 sounds a bit less tinny and would be my recommendation for you.  They are one of those headphones that can lay hundreds of other headphones to rest because they are just so good for the money.  The sound up-front, have decent to excellent bass, and really suit most if not all music well.

They are on my Top 10 list as well as the Top 10 list at HeadRoom ( headphone.com ).
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/10-best-headphones.php

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow, they seem to have really high reviews, everyone seems to love them. Plus they are cheaper than the Ultrasone. Hmm I might have to go with these.

Thanks for the reply Blur

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

Hey everybody,

I'm new here and have a few questions. 

I've searched through the forums for the past month or so, seemed like this one had the most information. Or most amount of quality information.

Right, to the questions. Hopefully they aren't repetitive newb questions, Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm somewhat new to the intense audio game. Currently I have Sennheiser MX470 earbuds and Sony MDR-XB500 headphones.
The MX470 are good for the money ~ $30, little bass but good treble. I like them for portable use.
MDR-XB again good for the money ~ $50, good strong bass, sometimes sounds blah-ish, not as crisp sounding as I would like.

I would like to invest in some new headphones in a couple months. I have been thinking of the Ultrasone hfi-780, would you guys recommend these for me? Not looking to spend more than 200

My music taste, real big into trance.... Above&beyond, Armin, Markus Schulz, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, Sunlounger, etc.
Also into rock/heavy rock.... Killswitch, BFMV, Disturbed, Coheed&Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Old Escape the Fate, Senses Fail, etc.
And also some rap, not really hip-hop.... Eminem, Mobb Deep, Kanye, Young Jeezy, NaS, ect.

So based on my music tastes, would you still recommend the Ultrasone's. Or would you say there are better alternatives in my price range. Also amp information and advice would be nice. I don't know much or understand much about that yet. The headphones would be used mainly at my computer, if that helps? I'm on stock computer soundcard also.

Thanks again.

cosmic gate, above& beyond, AVB!!!!! <3 <3 <3 

i like your taste,very close to mines 
wink.gif

ultrasones are good, but i think you need an all rounder. im gonna suggest the denon ah-d2000, they are slightly more expensive than the ultrasone i think tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back