Hello! Buying My First Pair of Headphones!
Jun 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Axiaz

New Head-Fier
Hello. I've been searching around and the amount of selections is just overwhelming. After reading through some guides I think I've got the basics down (hopefully).

I'm planning to use them mainly for outdoors (ex. commuting).
I listen to a large variety of genres. Though mostly classical and J-Pop.

I don't really have a preference between full size and ear pad forms, and though I would prefer it to be less bulky and easier to carry, I will always prioritize sound quality.
IEMs are out of the question since I really can't stand the feel of something stuck in my ear.

The budget is around $100, though if there aren't any suitable ones I'm willing to go up to $200 max.

From my readings and my friends' advices, I have 2 preliminary candidates: Sennheiser HD 229, and Sennheiser PX 200-II.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 18
Hello!

To keep your budget within $100, I would highly recommend you the UE4000. It's lightweight, detachable cable and yeah, everything you need for portable except for foldable design. In terms of sound, it provides the bass you need for K-pop and the very warm, detailed mids which is suitable for classical. The instrument separation here is great but soundstage can be lacking a bit in comparison. All and all, you get what you paid for!

Hope this helps!
Billson :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Thank you very much everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

For the SRH840, I'm a bit concerned about the weight. Are there any alternatives on the lighter and smaller side?

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Thank you very much everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

For the SRH840, I'm a bit concerned about the weight. Are there any alternatives on the lighter and smaller side?

UE 6000

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 18
What about esw9a. You can snatch one used for under 200 dollars. But again, it would help to know your sound preference. Headphones that was listed on this tread are drastically dofferent in thier sound signature.

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Hmm, I don't really know what my preferences are. Though I guess a balanced sound across the frequencies would be good.

This is good, actually. Don't dwell on the research too much. Pick something up and try it. If you don't like it, congratulations! You've refined your tastes. Yeah, I would start with something that is fairly neutral and go from there. That being the case, the SRH840 is a good place to start.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
This is good, actually. Don't dwell on the research too much. Pick something up and try it. If you don't like it, congratulations! You've refined your tastes. Yeah, I would start with something that is fairly neutral and go from there. That being the case, the SRH840 is a good place to start.

+1! Totally agree with roguegeek! 

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm mainly using these headphones on the go (buses, walking, etc.). So the only concern I have with the 840s is that they're too large and heavy. Would there be any alternatives that are more portable, but still offer the same or almost the same sound quality/signature?

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 18
Thank you very much for the suggestions.

From my readings, it seems like both the esw9 and M-80 don't have very good isolation? Keeping out the noise of public transit is a major concern for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back