Hello audio experts, advice needed on a new DAP
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #16 of 22
Ibasso dx240, otherwise ibasso dx170. Both should have no issues.
Have dx240 with amp5mod and it has no issues running my 600ohm cans.

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 22
Hey all she decided on a pair of DT 900 pro X :) but I can’t seem to find one but if information. Do these fully support 4.4mm balanced cable?
Nice! These are really easy to drive - anything with power above 1 Vrms or 200mw would be able to get these to very loud levels. Most DAP's should be able to power this easily, some examples are the Fiio M11S, Cayin N3 Pro & N6 II, Hiby R6 III & R6 Pro II, Shanling M6 Pro, A&K SR25 & SR35 and what @lantian suggested the DX170 & DX240 are all good options. If you want to narrow down your search further, you can ask her what features she's looking for - longer battery life, more recent android for streaming (or is it just playing back local files), which brand is preferred etc. or alternatively try something unscientific like spin a wheel or put them up and try throwing darts at them, you'll be spoiled for options. :joy:

For your question on balanced cables - natively no. These don't come with balanced cables - but there are mods out there or you can purchase a ready mademodded pair. Did see some up on this shop which seems fairly trustworthy on Trust Pilot - but alway advise doing your due diligence before purchasing from any online shop:

https://customcans.co.uk/shop/product/custom-cans-beyerdynamic-dt700-pro-x-balanced/

For modding any existing cans, did see a service on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1413030536/beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-900-pro-x?variation0=3293428361

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 22
b20ca3c5-3d69-42bd-ad7d-59519f06408a.jpeg

Hey all thanks for all the help- she ended up getting this after about 3 hours of testing at the store lol. She is very happy with it :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 22
b20ca3c5-3d69-42bd-ad7d-59519f06408a.jpeg
Hey all thanks for all the help- she ended up getting this after about 3 hours of testing at the store lol. She is very happy with it :)
Glad to hear she found something she enjoys! That’s what the hobby’s about. It’s always magical to try products in store where possible. 3 hours isn’t all that long 😆- you do tend to lose track of time when you are making comparisons / testing gear as all you can think of is wait let me try this track next, let me hear that again or let me compare how that sounds with my previous source. I spent half a day testing the N7, the shop owner just left me to it. But at the end you walk out without regrets and that’s definitely worth it.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 22
I'm surprised this discussion is more about power than sound signature. I'm a big fan of the "Sony sound", NOS DACs and tube amps. Power, even if important, would never be my main concern when I buy something. I've had 3 Sony DAPs including the WM1A and ZX507 which are not powerful. I would never trade their sound for more power. This said, I don't have the WM1A anymore because one day I bought the Woo WA8 transportable amp/dac and since then I haven't been able to convince myself that a DAP could sound that great. The only thing is the DAC of the WA8 is a ESS Sabre chip and that is not quite my cup of tea sound wise. I'm often tempted by the Cayin N7 and Hiby RS8 for their DAC sound signature but I'm afraid I would need to keep the WA8 amp wise.

Anyway, not answering your original question much aside from advising you to consider the sound signature that your partner is accustomed to with the Sony she currently uses. She could be very disappointed if you only select the replacement DAP based on power only but having a more "clinical" sound.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm surprised this discussion is more about power than sound signature.
All valid points, sound signature is important and testing equipment even more so. However, with this thread the OP was more concerned about a standalone DAP (not considering pairing with an external amp for portability) that could power demanding headphones. Which is where the whole conversation went. Plus budget is important, it’s a tricky one, trying to balance different gear. I think 2-3 posts up, OP gave an update that she tested and ended up with the Hiby R6 III, so it wasn’t against preference. But most places have return policies so you can return gear if you don’t end up enjoying it. As everyone’s mileage may vary, and how else will you find out which signature you enjoy without trying them all, I mean gotta catch em all! The hobby where wallets are bullied and gear is constantly changing.

As they say all’s well that ends well. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back