Hello audio experts, advice needed on a new DAP
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rgutierr

Head-Fier
Hey all, so my partner has been using a NWZX2 for a long time but she wants some new open back headphones which need more power to drive.

Can i get some reccomendations? Does more power always=more money?

Needs to be dap only. no dap+amp combo and no desktop amp please.

Thanks in advance :)

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 22
Hiya rgutierr, hope you are both enjoying the hobby! If you are not fully in yet, what better excuse is there but to demo equipment. 😁

To answer the question quickly- more power does not always equal more money.

Plenty of DAP’s nowadays have enough power to work with headphones (with the exception of a few really demanding ones).

It really just depends on which headphones and what your budget is for the DAP. You can use something like this calculator to find out how much power you need to drive the headphones you are looking for (look at the Vrms figure and add 20db to the level you would normally listen at to adjust for some tracks which have lower dynamic range and you need more power for - those tracks you end up needing to put more volume up for):

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

With that knowledge you can then look at which DAP’s have enough power to drive those headphones (what their maximum output is). And a key spec to look for is single ended (3.5mm) output & balanced (4.4mm) output - as it depends which one you want to use with the headphones (what their stock connector is).

The biggest factor being budget range. Think of how much you want to split between the headphone & DAP.

Ah, also if you run into mW figures for DAP output - this might come in handy, check the resistance/ ohm rating of the headphones and then the conversion would roughly look like:

rHead specifies 2,000mW into 16Ω (5.7Vrms), 1,100mW into 32Ω (6.0Vrms), and 130mW into 300Ω (6.5Vrms).”

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 22
Hey all, so my partner has been using a NWZX2 for a long time but she wants some new open back headphones which need more power to drive.

Can i get some reccomendations? Does more power always=more money?

Needs to be dap only. no dap+amp combo and no desktop amp please.

Thanks in advance :)
If I had asked questions like this in the past, I probably could have saved a lot of money. but which headphones it should be would be interesting.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Hiya rgutierr, hope you are both enjoying the hobby! If you are not fully in yet, what better excuse is there but to demo equipment. 😁

To answer the question quickly- more power does not always equal more money.

Plenty of DAP’s nowadays have enough power to work with headphones (with the exception of a few really demanding ones).

It really just depends on which headphones and what your budget is for the DAP. You can use something like this calculator to find out how much power you need to drive the headphones you are looking for (look at the Vrms figure and add 20db to the level you would normally listen at to adjust for some tracks which have lower dynamic range and you need more power for - those tracks you end up needing to put more volume up for):

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

With that knowledge you can then look at which DAP’s have enough power to drive those headphones (what their maximum output is). And a key spec to look for is single ended (3.5mm) output & balanced (4.4mm) output - as it depends which one you want to use with the headphones (what their stock connector is).

The biggest factor being budget range. Think of how much you want to split between the headphone & DAP.

Ah, also if you run into mW figures for DAP output - this might come in handy, check the resistance/ ohm rating of the headphones and then the conversion would roughly look like:

rHead specifies 2,000mW into 16Ω (5.7Vrms), 1,100mW into 32Ω (6.0Vrms), and 130mW into 300Ω (6.5Vrms).”

thank you i will use this for sure

to answer the above post too she is looking at open backs in the 200-300ohm range

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 22
This is definitely very demanding for any DAP, there are very powerful modules available for the DX300/320. I also liked the sound of the DX300, but the form factor wasn't quite to my taste.

she just told me she also is looking at one that is 80ohm. She tried it with her DAP and it wouldnt get loud enough but she tried it with a hiby SR6 and she said it was beautiful but she is trying not to spend 2k AUD on a DAP if she can avoid it lol

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 22
Sep 24, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 22
Would a Hiby R6 III be considerably more powerful for her compared to her current NWZX2?
100%, the NWZX2 power output is under 50mw whereas the Hiby goes up to 400mw on balances. But both would not pair well with open back headphones that are that demanding. I’d recommend getting something like the Kann, Fiio M15S or DX300 for max power (you might get a good deal on classifieds, open box or returned in audio shops or on sale at Singles Day and Black Friday). Or if you were looking at the 80 ohms one, you can run that in the calculator to see the power requirements and match the DAP accordingly.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 22
100%, the NWZX2 power output is under 50mw whereas the Hiby goes up to 400mw on balances. But both would not pair well with open back headphones that are that demanding. I’d recommend getting something like the Kann, Fiio M15S or DX300 for max power (you might get a good deal on classifieds, open box or returned in audio shops or on sale at Singles Day and Black Friday). Or if you were looking at the 80 ohms one, you can run that in the calculator to see the power requirements and match the DAP accordingly.

thank you for this. she is going to test the 80ohm ones with the Hiby tomorrow :)

Also just curious

Wireless Items: Sony WH1000XM3 (Preferred over XM4 & XM5)

I also have the xm3, curious as to why you prefer over the xm4 and 5

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 22
thank you for this. she is going to test the 80ohm ones with the Hiby tomorrow :)

Also just curious

Wireless Items: Sony WH1000XM3 (Preferred over XM4 & XM5)

I also have the xm3, curious as to why you prefer over the xm4 and 5
Nw, ah nice! It’s always better to try in person and Hiby does make some amazing DAP’s - their software is highly rated, especially with convolver files & MSEB. I believe Cayin’s their sister company (read that somewhere, but for the life of me can’t find it anymore).

That’s just a personal taste/ preference thing. I’d similarly pick the XM4 over the XM5 (the 5’s have a physically smaller driver so that’s a big no/ downgrade). It’s the Sony sound of bass for days and fun signature on the XM3’s that is unrivalled. You won’t get that with the XM4/ XM5 - the treble on the new ones sounds slightly off too (they seem to be overcompensating). If you want that rumble without terrible overall frequency (for other bass boosted headphones, everything else is nonexistent), those are my go too. I have my iem’s for more analytical listening, but sometimes you just want to have fun and they do that really really well. Plus whatever magic it is, try using them with an iPhone (I use them with the 12) they pair really well - oh also have reduce loud sounds setting turned off.

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 22
Nw, ah nice! It’s always better to try in person and Hiby does make some amazing DAP’s - their software is highly rated, especially with convolver files & MSEB. I believe Cayin’s their sister company (read that somewhere, but for the life of me can’t find it anymore).

That’s just a personal taste/ preference thing. I’d similarly pick the XM4 over the XM5 (the 5’s have a physically smaller driver so that’s a big no/ downgrade). It’s the Sony sound of bass for days and fun signature on the XM3’s that is unrivalled. You won’t get that with the XM4/ XM5 - the treble on the new ones sounds slightly off too (they seem to be overcompensating). If you want that rumble without terrible overall frequency (for other bass boosted headphones, everything else is nonexistent), those are my go too. I have my iem’s for more analytical listening, but sometimes you just want to have fun and they do that really really well. Plus whatever magic it is, try using them with an iPhone (I use them with the 12) they pair really well - oh also have reduce loud sounds setting turned off.
At least they offer the Hiby player including MSEB, I wish they would also offer it for the complete system. My N7 would certainly be happy about it. :) I don't know whether these companies really belong together, but there is actually a certain similarity between DAP and DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back