Hello and upgrade advice from AKG K271 Studios
Aug 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BIgsteviet

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for a while now and firstly, thank you for everyone that has posted their reviews, thoughts and findings - it's SO useful :)

So I'm a former semi-pro guitarist - I'm no audiophile, but I really appreciate good quality audio.

I spent a bunch of money on my living room set-up (surround sound that doubles up for stereo), but it suddenly occurred to me that since my OH doesn't share my passion for music, I tend to do 90% of my listening in my office these days. So... time to upgrade! 

Current set-up:

iMac playing (largely) ALAC files
Lindy Dac (cheap)
Denon UD-M50
AKG K271 Studios

Now, this set-up is 'fine' but I know it can be a whole heap better - it's been cobbled together over the years (my main computer, OH's old mini hifi, 'studio' headphones from when I was recording at home, cheap DAC to get me going). The size/shape of the room doesn't lend itself to hifi speakers - and I don't think my neighbours would thank me either - and I love listening via phones anyway... Makes sense to set up a hifi headphone rig, no?

So, I've got my eye on a JDS labs O2/ODAC, but what headphones to choose?

Thanks to reading just about every review on here, I think I have it narrowed down to three, but I'd love some advice on how you think they'd compare to my 271s - it's really hard to find reviews online about them to set a baseline to work from. Ultimately, I will audition the shortlist, but I work long hours, so time to do this is limited. I'm sure I'll end up with more than one, but budget being what it is, I'll probably only be able to buy one pair in the next 12-18 months or so.

So the question is; if you could only have one pair of headphones for the next year or more on a budget of <£300, what would you choose?

In price order:

- Audio Technica ATH M50X
- Philips X1
- Sennheiser HD600

I love the price of the M50s, but I already have closed back and I'm not convinced they'd be a step up.
The X1s sound like they could be ideal (could ultimately be used for gaming, too) but... it's Philips!
I know the HD600s are legendary, but will they excite enough?

So if anyone is kind enough to still be reading, I know you need to know what I'm looking for. I mostly listen to rock music (anything from Led Zep to Mastodon), I prefer material that's complex and with attitude. I also enjoy jazz (smooth), blues (SRV), classical (chamber) and IDM. It's a varied bunch, so I'm looking for an all-rounder.

I prefer a warmer sound, rather than sterile, but I also value neutrality and clarity. I'm not looking for overly analytical, but I do want to be able to hear the detail at the same time as being excited.

I tend to listen to music flat with no EQ or tone adjustments, but if I were to state a preference, it would be towards the classic rock U-shaped/smiley.

I'd be interested in anyone's feedback on my 271s. And what would represent a good step-up from them. I find them revealing, but a bit cold and splashy. The soundstage is decent, but with no sense of space/scale. The information is there, but they lack excitement.

I know I value enjoying the music (in 'all' its detail), over an analytical dissection.

If you've read this far, thank you - and I look forward to your advice!

Cheers,

Steve

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 7
M100 is not at all V-shaped. It's bass heavy and dark.

M50x seems to lack treble, if charts are anything to go by. I'm familiar with the original and it had raspy, subpar treble. I expect the new one traded bad treble for less treble.

=====

If you like V-shaped, I guess my favorite is HD25-II. It's on ear though and really needs to be stretched out a lot to make it more comfortable.

D2000 is very comfortable but I found the treble screechy. Given all the mods, I'm betting something can be done about that.

Another idea is SRH840, which is less V-shaped that the others whilst still being V-shaped. I like the sound. It's warm and doesn't really do anything wrong. You might want to mod the headband to make it softer and lighter.

Best luck!

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey, thanks Claritas - I'll look into your suggestions, esp the SRH840. Appreciate it.

Definitely looking for over ear, not on - can't stand em! Even my Sennheiser PX200s (which seem to be a good choice) get short shrift in this house, despite being used for several years now.

I think I like the idea of the M100s because the thing I'm missing most on my 271s is some bass. I'm listening to them right now and I just want some WEIGHT - it's all a bit splashy. I prefer not to EQ, but even with dynamic bass on, I'm looking for some kind of kick, punch excitement - especially when I listen to RAWK! 

And when I say I like the smiley EQ, I should qualify that with a bass bias. When I played live guitar, I'd set the tone controls to full bass, minimal mid and 3/4 treble and it seems roughly the same preferences apply when I listen back for pleasure (as opposed to analysing a mix, which is also fun).

I'm thinking that the M100s will complement my existing 'monitor' headphones so I have one pair for 'fun' and one pair for critical listening (which I think will ultimately get replaced by HD600s)

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 7
And when I say I like the smiley EQ, I should qualify that with a bass bias. When I played live guitar, I'd set the tone controls to full bass, minimal mid and 3/4 treble and it seems roughly the same preferences apply when I listen back for pleasure (as opposed to analysing a mix, which is also fun).

Sure thing. M100 is a good headphone with drive but it's hard to hear the treble. If you buy it, try XL pads for comfort.

Given how you set the controls, I think you'll be happier with D2k. Best luck either way.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 7
  The X1s sound like they could be ideal (could ultimately be used for gaming, too) but... it's Philips!

I thought the same until I tried them.  If I had to listen to DJ Koze's "Marilyn Whirlwind" 100 times in a row, I would choose the Philips every time.  Good luck on finding music that sounds better on the M-100.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back