Hello and Thank You :)
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

EarthToTommy

New Head-Fier
Hello All... just joined the forum after being a long-time lurker.  The "thank you" referenced above is to all of the members who have unknowingly shared great advice with me.  Unfortunately, I am fairly new to the world of audiophile, so my apologies for taking more than giving until I get up to speed.

My journey began last year as my business and computer setup became more mobile.  Needing a good pair of headphones, I settled in on the Ultrasone Signature Pro.  The difference in sound was stunning compared to the consumer brand I had been using.  The sickness had begun.  Within hours, the need for a portable (somewhat) headphone amp became apparent.  Not sure how it happened, but a few days later the Headroom Portable Desktop Amp arrived at my door.  Wow.  It then became quite clear that my MP3 files were a weak link, so I re-digitized my entire library in iTunes using Apple's lossless format.  The sound kept getting better.  The setup was great when I packed my mobile office, but there were times when I just needed to monitor the audio from a video camera, or simply enjoy some music via my iPod.  So, I purchased the Shure SE 535s - pure joy.  Or so I thought.  Last week, my son's inexpensive earbuds died.  Being a good father, I gave him the Shure's and indulged in the Ultrasone IQs (I really like the Ultrasone sound).  Holy crap - I am in heaven.

Which leads me to my latest problem... the iPod no longer is good enough.  I'm about to order the AK120.  Quick question... how do serious audiophiles (of which I am not one) stay married?  Each time the UPS truck arrives, my wife just shakes her head.  We've been married 22 years.  It seems that my business needs and hobbies (computer - Apple, photo & video - Sony, and now audio - Headroom, Ultrasone and iRiver) are conspiring to make reaching my 23rd anniversary more difficult.

Truth be told, I'm afraid of what this forum may expose me to :)

Although I'm new to this world, I'm pretty savvy in all things Apple, 2D & 3D photography and video.  I'd be glad to share my knowledge if it can help anyone - happy to return the many favors members have already done for me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hello All... just joined the forum after being a long-time lurker.  The "thank you" referenced above is to all of the members who have unknowingly shared great advice with me.  Unfortunately, I am fairly new to the world of audiophile, so my apologies for taking more than giving until I get up to speed.

My journey began last year as my business and computer setup became more mobile.  Needing a good pair of headphones, I settled in on the Ultrasone Signature Pro.  The difference in sound was stunning compared to the consumer brand I had been using.  The sickness had begun.  Within hours, the need for a portable (somewhat) headphone amp became apparent.  Not sure how it happened, but a few days later the Headroom Portable Desktop Amp arrived at my door.  Wow.  It then became quite clear that my MP3 files were a weak link, so I re-digitized my entire library in iTunes using Apple's lossless format.  The sound kept getting better.  The setup was great when I packed my mobile office, but there were times when I just needed to monitor the audio from a video camera, or simply enjoy some music via my iPod.  So, I purchased the Shure SE 535s - pure joy.  Or so I thought.  Last week, my son's inexpensive earbuds died.  Being a good father, I gave him the Shure's and indulged in the Ultrasone IQs (I really like the Ultrasone sound).  Holy crap - I am in heaven.

Which leads me to my latest problem... the iPod no longer is good enough.  I'm about to order the AK120.  Quick question... how do serious audiophiles (of which I am not one) stay married?  Each time the UPS truck arrives, my wife just shakes her head.  We've been married 22 years.  It seems that my business needs and hobbies (computer - Apple, photo & video - Sony, and now audio - Headroom, Ultrasone and iRiver) are conspiring to make reaching my 23rd anniversary more difficult.

Truth be told, I'm afraid of what this forum may expose me to :)

Although I'm new to this world, I'm pretty savvy in all things Apple, 2D & 3D photography and video.  I'd be glad to share my knowledge if it can help anyone - happy to return the many favors members have already done for me.

Couple days ago somebody was talking about WWW rule of audiophiles in relationships. Every time a new product is announced:

1- Waiting
2- Wallet bye bye
3- Worrying that wife/gf will find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back