Hello and looking at first real headphones
Jun 13, 2015 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MtnMan307

100+ Head-Fier
My name is John. I'm 31 years old and listen to mostly various types of rock music. So far I've mostly been a speaker guy when it comes to good audio gear. I have a 5.1 Aperion Audio system for the living room and a pair of Aperion 532 speakers on my desk.

Lately I've been thinking of getting a real set of headphones and maybe an amp/DAC stack also. Thinking of the M50 line from audio technica. Along with a Schiit magni/modi pair later on. Would that be a good match?

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 9
The Modi/Magni would work well with most headphones.

However, like your speaker setup, best value comes from putting more money towards the headphones than the electronics. A Fiio E10K or Schiit Fulla are very decent dac/amps that would drive many headphones. Might want to buy one of those, and then spend your budget on headphones like the NAD HP50, PSB M4U 1, or Focal Spirit Pros.

Alternatively, do you need closed headphones? Open headphones will typically have a better soundstage.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 9
I would say go for a Sony MDR MA900. They are the most speaker-like headphones i have heard. 

The Schiit stack is a great combo for starting out. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I would like something I can use both at home and at the gym or walking/running outdoors.  Of course this might mean I'm better off with one full size pair and maybe one set of cheaper IEMs.  At home, the source is my computer with just the onboard Realtek audio, so I would think a better DAC is the way to go.  The music is basically Pandora and MP3s at 192 and 320k with some Apple Lossless and other high quality material.  I listen to my iPhone 5S and older iPod otherwise.

I'm thinking closed headphones are better unless I only use them at home?  I'm kinda stuck at a low point financially and just work as a housekeeper at a hospital and part time busser at a restaurant...with a business degree...anyway, I don't have the money right now but thinking of a $200 max on the headphones. 

The Schiit stuff all sounds really nice for the money.  I've looked at their website a lot and they seem like a really cool outfit too.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm not so sure about full sized headphones because I haven't had much experience with them, other than some of sennheiser's more pricey models like the HD 600 - 800. If you're looking for some good IEMs you should check out some of Vsonics IEMs. Some of their stuff are pretty good for budget gear. The ones I've used extensively were mostly the VSD3S and the GR07. The VSD3S sound a bit more bassy and a little bit more warm but their quality is pretty solid. Although, their cord can be a little sensitive and I'm not going to lie I'm careful with my stuff and the cords broke twice on me. The GR07s are a lot more neutral sounding than the VSD3S and, in my opinion, built better. It is a bit pricier though, I think they might be around 100$ on some sites (and I used the regular edition, not the special bass edition). Hope this helps, good luck finding the pairs right for you

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies.  I just have the free Apple earbuds so I know pretty much anything will sound better than that.

Another headphone model I've read good reviews on is the Noontec Zoro HD II and the Hammo by the same brand. Any experience with either of those? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back