Hello - and advice on DAP / DAC purchase please!
May 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tobes01

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Been lurking for a while trying to figure out my next step on the road to audiophile, and having failed to find the answer I'd value your advice please.

I'm a long-time OSX/iTunes user (since the beginning) and had been using an iPhone with a pair of Bose IEMs. Music taste is very mixed, often dance/trance when commuting but classical/rock at work, 20+ hours a week with 'phones on. Much of my music has been bought from iTunes store in the past, but I've been re-ripping my CDs in ALAC and am now only buying on CD rather than download.

I started with a pair of Monster Turbine Copper IEMs, big mistake - couldn't make them fit with any of the supplied or 3rd-party tips. Then tried a pair of Westone 4r's and I was hooked, absolutely love them.

I've now added a Fiio E12 to my iPhone, which is great, but I want to take the next step. I could try a portable DAC with an iPod classic, which would allow me to carry all my music, but is a bulky solution when wearing a suit. I'm very tempted by the Astell and Kern AK100, I'll have to lie to the wife about what it costs but it's a neat DAP and looks like it'll last the course.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers

Tobes

May 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 3
If you don't mind SD cards and lack of a click wheel/touchscreen, this one is basically the Fiio E17 DAC-Amp with DAP hardware on it (SDcard reader, screen, controls, etc) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-thread-clieos-first-impressions-on-page-37

This one hints at new controls and UI, apart from other specs, but nothing's clear for now : http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread

May 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Many thanks - been following the Fiio developments with interest, I suspect it might be a while before we see them in the UK. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the AK100, it seems to fit the bill for what I'm after.

Many thanks,

Tobes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back