Hello all
Aug 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

IBooNI

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers, I'm Andrew and I have been a lurker here for awhile. Around October of last year I sent out a bunch of my things to me while I am living in China, including my HD650 headphones and bottlehead crack+speedball amp. However issue with customs and was ultimately unable to get any of my items. It still angers me when I think about it. Anyway, I am looking to replace them and I am considering an upgrade from what I had. I liked the sound signature of the combo, but I wish they had a little more bass (sub bass?). Headphones I have been considering are the hd800s, some headphones from the Audeze line, and Hifiman headphones. I hope I can get some recommendations from you guys and hope to hear soon! Thanks.

I forgot to add, I have demoed the hd800 and hifiman he500, however it was in a noisy shop with people walking around. Being open headphones, I wasn't really able to get a good impression of these. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi Andrew ,sorry to hear about your gear...
If youre wanting bass presence from your headphones HD800 is probably not the HP you should be looking at.They have many strengths,but bass isnt one of them.

When you say you want bass are you referring to a tactile *thump* or a deep rumble...?

Audeze and Hifiman are both planar headphones vs.your old HD650 which is a dynamic driver.Typically planar headphones have a more robust bass presence..usually.

You will want to be careful what amp you choose if you opt for a planar,as not many OTLs can drive planar HPs well.They usually shine with high ohm dynamic headphones.

The HE-500 is a great headphone,but is now discontinued. Audeze LCD line has more sub bass extension,but i preferred the overall tone of the HE-500 personally,but both are fine choices.

You might also check into the Meze 99 classic as its a darker sounding HP,not too different from your HD650.If you want even darker there is also the Audioquest Nighthawk.

You might also look into the ZMF line of headphones.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 14
The LCD2 is pretty much a better HD650 to my ears except in terms of mid presence. I've also been looking at the ZMF Atticus and it seems to be the same type of sound as the 650/LCD2 but with a nice boost in the lower frequencies giving it some power. I'd also researched the TH900 but the Atticus seems to be a better headphone all around

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 14
I'd research a bit about ZMF headphones. I consider them a more musical version of the HD650 with more detail and low-end presence. Zach almost always emphasizes the mid-bass, which I feel is a big part of the HD650 sound signature. A specific consideration would be the ZMF Vibro MK II. You are basically able to customize most of the aesthetics of this headphone, from the wood color, sliders, ear pads, headband, etc. It is an involving experience that adds to the appreciation of the purchase. There are even port-holes that allow one to influence how much sub-bass presence there is in the sound signature. These are close-back headphone, which is something to consider if you are looking for an open-back. Good luck.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 14
That just sucks. The 650's and Bottlehead Crack are just made to be together no other amp I've heard comes close.That is so sad.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi Andrew ,sorry to hear about your gear...
If youre wanting bass presence from your headphones HD800 is probably not the HP you should be looking at.They have many strengths,but bass isnt one of them.

When you say you want bass are you referring to a tactile *thump* or a deep rumble...?

Audeze and Hifiman are both planar headphones vs.your old HD650 which is a dynamic driver.Typically planar headphones have a more robust bass presence..usually.

You will want to be careful what amp you choose if you opt for a planar,as not many OTLs can drive planar HPs well.They usually shine with high ohm dynamic headphones.

The HE-500 is a great headphone,but is now discontinued. Audeze LCD line has more sub bass extension,but i preferred the overall tone of the HE-500 personally,but both are fine choices.

You might also check into the Meze 99 classic as its a darker sounding HP,not too different from your HD650.If you want even darker there is also the Audioquest Nighthawk.

You might also look into the ZMF line of headphones.
Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. When I am talking about the lack of bass, I am talking about the deep rumble that was missing. I was happy with the "thump" of the combo, but the rumble wasn't there. Yes I have heard the Audeze tend to have more bass extension. My issue is that there doesn't seem to be a clear winner out of these. Some prefer Audeze, some Hifiman, and some Sennheiser and it doesn't like any 1 is a clear winner. I feel like I'm going around in circles, haha. I understand people have their preferences and at this level it seems like there are trade offs vs overall upgrades in all aspects. I suppose I need to do more research or possibly find somewhere else to demo. Thanks.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 14
If you can find yourself a pre-fazor Audeze LCD-2 I think you will be quite happy with the rumble...

Sennheiser HPs for the most part do not have much sub bass extension.

HiFiMan,kinda the same,until you start getting into 1000.00 territory,but even then the LCD-2 is the deepest diving HP Ive heard to date.I just preferred the overall presentation of the HE-500 better.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 14
A lot of people consider the LCD-2 a better version of the HD 650. Personally I think the HD 650 still pulls its own weight, but the LCD-2 definitely shares a lot of the characteristics with more subbass and detail.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 14
A lot of people consider the LCD-2 a better version of the HD 650. Personally I think the HD 650 still pulls its own weight, but the LCD-2 definitely shares a lot of the characteristics with more subbass and detail.
I agree completely. Owning both, the LCD2 is (to me) pretty clearly "better" than the 650. But it better be, because it costs over 3 times as much. I can't bring myself to sell the 650 even though I enjoy the Audeze more in just about every way

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 14
I agree completely. Owning both, the LCD2 is (to me) pretty clearly "better" than the 650. But it better be, because it costs over 3 times as much. I can't bring myself to sell the 650 even though I enjoy the Audeze more in just about every way

my past lcd2.2 pre fazor is better than my 6xx; the only reason I sell the lcd2 is because of it's weight. I see myself using the 6xx more for that reason.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 14
my past lcd2.2 pre fazor is better than my 6xx; the only reason I sell the lcd2 is because of it's weight. I see myself using the 6xx more for that reason.
I feel the same way; the weight is an issue sometimes. That is one of the only reasons I'm keeping the 650. I suppose the 650 can also be my movie headphones. Look at me trying to justify keeping those guys :/

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 14
I feel the same way; the weight is an issue sometimes. That is one of the only reasons I'm keeping the 650. I suppose the 650 can also be my movie headphones. Look at me trying to justify keeping those guys :/

Honestly, I really miss the lcd2 sound :ksc75smile:

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back