Hell Yeah! Grado SR-300 back in action
May 7, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG

Mmm... I think you should hear the headphones first before making that assertion.
wink.gif
SR300 was made by Joseph Grado, founder of Grado Labs and uncle

Oops, you're right about the uncle thing. The analogy I used wasn't regarding sound, just product timelines.

May 8, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 23
I don't doubt that there are differences between the Alessandro models and the Grados. If there were not, what would be the point in the two different "companies"? What I am saying is that the SR125 and SR225 are essentially the same phones as the SR100 and SR200 respectively. The 125 and 225 might be slightly improved by the "de-stressing" of the drivers. The wooden RS-1 was a John Grado original.

May 8, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 23
All I'm saying, Beagle, is that if it's possible for the RS-1 to change so much and become the Music Series Pro by "minor tweaking," as according to John Grado, isn't it possible that the SR125 and SR225 could have been changed? Perhaps this is the sound that John Grado prefers, allowing customers to choose the RS-2 or RS-1 for a smoother sound.

May 8, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
All I'm saying, Beagle, is that if it's possible for the RS-1 to change so much and become the Music Series Pro by "minor tweaking," as according to John Grado, isn't it possible that the SR125 and SR225 could have been changed? Perhaps this is the sound that John Grado prefers, allowing customers to choose the RS-2 or RS-1 for a smoother sound.

It is very possible. But normally Grado is very forthcoming in their "Librettos" about the differences or improvements in their headphone line. One would think that if there was a specific design for a different sound or improvement, it would be well indicated as a potential selling point (i.e. closer matched drivers, bettter wire etc.) Myself, I am a bit skeptical because I found my SR80 and SR125 imaged better than my SR225 and 325, yet the latter two models are supposed to have closer matched drivers for "improved imaging" and "soundstage". So I would think that if specs are changed but not acknowledged in the literature, then it is likely the change is not for the better and is for cost cutting purposes.

May 8, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 23
Beagle, have you found any literature pertaining to the change from the 100, 200 or 300 to the newer 125, 225 or 325? Somehow I don't think it would make sense for Grado to simply change the model numbers just cause they felt like it. As a matter of fact, I would think it would cost them money to change model numbers.

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 23
A pair of sr-200s showed up on my doorstep yesterday. I have listened to them for three hours and compared them to the225s. The 200s have the grado sound but they are mellower and less dynamic. They had mint flat pads, and used so, have a darker balance with a very smooooooth midrange. Most noticeable to me was the absence of tape hiss. Even on my worst recordings tape hiss was barely audible. They dont have the 225s bass slam, in fact, the 225s have more dynamics throughout he entire audible spectrum. The bass is slightly elevated, and the treble another degree more so with the 225; but it gives the 225 an airier, more open and exciting sound. While the 200s sound like a grado they have a much different presentation.
I tried the 200s with different pads and they are so smooth they didnt even sound bad with bowl pads.I did prefer them with a flat or senn h-19545 pad. Because the 200 has a more muted treble the sound stage seemed narrower and cymbals didnt have their usual grado snap. But the 200s are so musical, and after listening awhile, you adjust to the differences and just enjoy yourself. I did miss the 225s dynamics but the 200s are just so balanced and linear sounding.These are the perfect counterpoint to the current grado sound I prefer.
I put this post in this old thread that was debating this topic to avoid covering the same information. But it may be better as a new thread. If you think so moderator by all means move it!
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 23
I used to own a pair of SR-200's. The older Grado's seem to need to be re-burned in if they haven't been used for awhile. If you just got them yesterday, you may hear something much different in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back