Hell identifying some older equipment.
Feb 19, 2016 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

B-Dawk20

Headphoneus Supremus
I stopped by my parent's house for a bit today and was in kind of a rush but I managed to snap some photos of my father's setup downstairs. Now, he is the type of guy to buy anything older looking if he can find it for cheap and has run past plenty of stuff in his day. So my question to you all is if you can identify any of this stuff and if so, is it worth taking my cans down there one day and messing around with it :)?

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Should have taken closer shots of the Sony CD changer (or is that a laserdisc?), the model number is usually printed on the front panel. Sometimes it's also on the rear panel. I see it on the upper right but it's all a blur.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Should have taken closer shots of the Sony CD changer (or is that a laserdisc?), the model number is usually printed on the front panel. Sometimes it's also on the rear panel. I see it on the upper right but it's all a blur.

On the less compressed photo in my phone, it says CDP-335. Anything noteworthy?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 7
On the less compressed photo in my phone, it says CDP-335. Anything noteworthy?

Not really, that's one of the common ones that went for around $150 in mainstream brick and mortar stores.

What about the silver component under it? Is it an integrated amp? What brand, and model if you remember/can see it clearly on the phone?

Also, that smaller box with the silver face plate - is it a Technics or a Luxman? Tuner or EQ?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 7
The amplifier is an Onkyo TX-65 seemingly.
The little guy says Sansui AT-15s

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 7
The amplifier is an Onkyo TX-65 seemingly.

Found this thread through Google - looks like it's a receiver that uses a digital tuner, with a decent discrete amplifier stage. Haven't encountered one in the vintage audio stores here though.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/onkyo-tx-65.253946/

The little guy says Sansui AT-15s

Tuner it is. I think it's one of the clearer tuners out there, however given it's a source unit and of this type, the utility these days is questionable next to Spotify and podcasts. Maybe back when sat radio was expensive and you needed an exclusive receiver for ti, but now given you need a phone and can get a smartphone off a carrier that subsidizes it, DACs compatible with mobile devices or computers are more practical.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you for the help! I probably won't be bringing my stuff around any time soon for some AB buy maybe one day I might stop by with the HD650 and take a gander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back