hehe, try and find out what headphones THESE are!
Nov 7, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 35
Inkmo and Rich have got it. The mystery 'phones are indeed ancient Superexes, once very popular in the '70s, now almost completely forgotten. The Pro-B dates to 1968. Not the golden age of headphones.

Superex is notable for making one of the first affordable electrostatic headphones, the 1973 PEP-79.

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 35
I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up in here and dropped some Knowledge our way.
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 35
I can never resist those "Oi! Guess wot 'eadphones THESE are!" threads.

I see the Retro Edwardian Headphone thing has got you by the throat-- have you had a chance to listen to any of these old trilobites?

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #20 of 35
Heheh. No, I haven't. I know they don't sound as good as modern headphones, and often the auctions go over my OITC. Of course there are some occasional rarities that can't be allowed to slip by (like the ATH-2). Man, I should have gotten those kenwoods now that I think about it... I'm kinda hoping the model above the ones I let go will turn up sometime... And those open-air pioneers I let get by me a couple months ago, too...

Just so you know, I have some of your long, LONG rants on choice vintage cans saved to my HD, and I keep a vigilant watch on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #21 of 35
Sigh. I know there's a pair of ol' Fostex out there with my name on it, but I just don't have the time to hound eBay like a circling vulture. One of these days... Cat must have some good isodynamics!

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #22 of 35
Wow, they look like real skull crushers!

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Sigh. I know there's a pair of ol' Fostex out there with my name on it, but I just don't have the time to hound eBay like a circling vulture. One of these days...

There, there, don't take it so hard, old thing. I suppose you saw the Yamaha YH-3s that went for $15 shipped ?

Quote:

Cat must have some good isodynamics!

Do you mean Inkmo (he does) or me (modesty prevents), or RedLeader (in this thread), or were you speaking generally of the deep inner needs of cats-- er, headphone nuts-- er, guys, and what they must have to truly LIVE?

Nov 9, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #24 of 35
smily_headphones1.gif
no I meant that I've heard the best dynamics out there, which didn't really "do" it for me, I've heard the best electrostatics - which I love but can't afford, I'll soon have the best balanced armatures out there, and it would be nice to hear some of the best isodynamics just to know where the technology stands. In terms of actual practical use for these headphones - I'm still looking for a transportable system that will bead my old Fisher 5400/Stax SR-001 combo, but I haven't heard one yet. Maybe a pair of T50's with a good portable amp like the Hornet will do it. Anyway, I'm a sucker for anything experimental or out of the ordinary...

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
electrostatics - which I love but can't afford

Not even used? Have you fallen for the Stax Omega?

Quote:

Maybe a pair of T50's with a good portable amp like the Hornet will do it. Anyway, I'm a sucker for anything experimental or out of the ordinary...

Then keep a weather eye peeled for Yamaha YH-100s, matey. Then-- [brandishes horribly deformed phillips screwdriver] we modify!

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
when i saw it, i thought to myself OMG I MUST HAVE IT.

Hey Sonick! There are some old Superexes (not the same model, though) on eBay right now. I doubt they're going to get expensive, and they are very similar to the ones on your poster. Just an FYI if you're interested.

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
Hey Sonick! There are some old Superexes (not the same model, though) on eBay right now. I doubt they're going to get expensive, and they are very similar to the ones on your poster. Just an FYI if you're interested.

heh, i meant i must have the poster, not the headphones themselves
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #29 of 35
s'cool. Couldn't hurt to show it at least. I'm still of the mind to keep cans around that I don't really listen to as long as they look cool. You should see the old Realistics I won today. Entirely white plastic and they look just like old Senn 414s. These were before the iPod thing, so I'm imagining the aesthetic would have been described then as 'the future as imagined by Lucas or Kubrick'.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
These were before the iPod thing, so I'm imagining the aesthetic would have been described then as 'the future as imagined by Lucas or Kubrick'.

By golly, they [Realistic Nova 15] do look like 2001 'phones! Or maybe phones styled by Syd Mead (no chrome, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back