heel toe downshifting
Aug 12, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
any article that skips out on revving with the stick in neutral and clutch returned to default position is wrong--and i've seen so many falsities on the web. with the stick in neutral, you are matching the speeds of the intermediate shaft to the output gear--this is the part that saves wear on the gear synchonizers. without doing this process, it is called rev-matching

Thats right and you need the clutch out to do that, otherwise it wont be spinning it. (at least for a second)
Thats why its handy to know where your clutche's sweet spot is so you don't have to go past that, making for a quicker shift.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeyus
Thats right and you need the clutch out to do that, otherwise it wont be spinning it. (at least for a second)
Thats why its handy to know where your clutche's sweet spot is so you don't have to go past that, making for a quicker shift.

I did not think this was true with a modern syncro tranny. I learned to drive on an old truck with no syncros at all, and my first Triumph had no syncro between 1st and 2ed. So I learned to match engine/trans real early on.
I do double clutch both up and down, but its more for timing than anything else.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #33 of 37
Back in the day - '94 Sentra SE-R and heel n toe....Bliss!

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
any article that skips out on revving with the stick in neutral and clutch returned to default position is wrong--and i've seen so many falsities on the web. with the stick in neutral, you are matching the speeds of the intermediate shaft to the output gear--this is the part that saves wear on the gear synchonizers. without doing this process, it is called rev-matching

Most modern high-performance transmissions like the T-56 that came in my Z06,CTS-V and Firebird(as well as Vipers,Mustang Cobras and GTOs) feature things like rail-mounted shift forks and laser machined synchros and gears. These transmissions are very capable of handling full-throttle clutchless upshifts from the likes of heavily modded Vipers. The Nesin(sp?) five and six speed trans' used in cars like the Honda S2000,Nissan 350Z and most recently the Pontiac Solstice are also very capable and can be shifted like a race trans when used by an experienced driver. Synchro wear is not the problem it once was because of the precision of the machining,the lack of flex in the gear stacks and very stiff shift forks. Most modern shift forks are made of cast iron and cars like the CTS-V,Z06 and Viper even have billet steel forks and input shafts.

The step of matching synchro speeds(that's not the correct term) is not required on most modern transmissions.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
The step of matching synchro speeds(that's not the correct term) is not required on most modern transmissions.

What about with cheaper cars like the Echo that have less then phenominal transmissions?

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
What about with cheaper cars like the Echo that have less then phenominal transmissions?

You gotta try it. If you get nasty crunching sounds,back off.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Back in the day - '94 Sentra SE-R and heel n toe....Bliss!

my god--you, too! I was the owner of a 93 Sentra SE-R! I loved driving that thing--seating position and pedal-placement was top-notch!

Its tranny didnt exactly have CNC'ed steel components and, at 110k miles, I guarantee you, Tuberoller, its synchros werent the same condition as your 200x Corvette's or Cadillac's
wink.gif
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back