Heeeelp Meeeee...
Jun 24, 2003 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bionic Gecko

Head-Fier
I need to figure out what kind of setup I want to get, I know I want to get The Koss KSC 35's or whatever they are called, and an amp, those 2 things for sure. But then I'm thinking I also might want a new player. What I want in a player is:

-portability because I often use it while on the go, normally I would think that would eliminate a NJB 3 but if I can get a nice carrying case or something that might work.

-I'm poor right now so I probably need something fairly cheap, ie probably not the 30 GB iPod
smily_headphones1.gif

-Obviously needs USB 2.0 or Firewire( I have both, USB 2.0 is more readily available to travel with, Firewire is my preference though for standard transfer, Im not sure which I want)

-Good Sound

-A stable firmware solution

-I'm keeping my Archos Recorder so recording is unnecessary

-Uploading data files w/o special drivers or software is nice, very nice

-PDA functions are damn nifty

-I listen to a pretty big variety of stuff

-Probably need at LEAST 15 GB storage, and I do like the idea of upgradeable HDD, but its not necessary

-I'm apprehensive about devices with non changeable batteries, any opinions on this?

That's probably about it, I would hugely appreciate any help and/or suggestions with what to get.

Keep in mind Im pretty much an audiofile newbie, so a bit of toleration would be greatly appreciated
wink.gif

Current setup: AJBR 15 with either the default cans or Panasonic Clip On's(dont remember the model# right now) depending on my mood

Jun 24, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't assume you need an amp. Amps are a bit hyped here. If you get a portable with a good out it will be much less missed and possibly only a volume booster. I have a meta mint, but find myself only using it as a home setup, because of the strength of the iPods out. Can't comment on outs from Creative or iRiver, but if I was on a PC (which I assume you are), the NJB or Zen would have to be possibilities. Also don't rule out a refurbished iPod or used as people run to the newer models. See Small Dog Electronics or the For Sale forum here. For the record I switched from a NJB to iPod and am happy with the switch. Nearly every player has rechargeables even if it's you buying rechargeable AA's.

Are you planning on getting other phones or just the Koss?

And what's wrong with the Archos?

Have you seen Austonia's site ?

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Don't assume you need an amp. Amps are a bit hyped here. If you get a portable with a good out it will be much less missed and possibly only a volume booster. I have a meta mint, but find myself only using it as a home setup, because of the strength of the iPods out. Can't comment on outs from Creative or iRiver, but if I was on a PC (which I assume you are), the NJB or Zen would have to be possibilities. Also don't rule out a refurbished iPod or used as people run to the newer models. See Small Dog Electronics or the For Sale forum here. For the record I switched from a NJB to iPod and am happy with the switch. Nearly every player has rechargeables even if it's you buying rechargeable AA's.

Are you planning on getting other phones or just the Koss?

And what's wrong with the Archos?

Have you seen Austonia's site ?

Small Dog Electronics huh? whats the URL?

I'm on a PC, I've seen Austonia's site, but I still wanted some human response instead of just me making a decision.

Thier is nothing WRONG with the archos persee, but the sound quality is a little lacking, its a bit large to fit comfortably in my pocket, only supports USB 1.1.

I might get some better Phones down the road, but the Koss's are cheap and good I hear(good qualities when you are poor).

Im on a PC running XP and the SuSe 8.0 distro.

I think my main choices are the NJB3, Zen, iPod gen3 15 GB, iPod gen2 20GB.

Any more suggestions?

Oh and thanks a bunch blessingx
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back