HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 10, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

csxcsx

Head-Fier
580smile.gif
Hey guys, im plannin 2 get my first serious pair of headphones, and i realy hav no idea bout wut 2 get. im no dj, so i dont no this stuf

im generally an on-the-go guy, i ve got no receiver of big stereo at home, normally its just cd player or mp3 player

im lookin 4 somethin that can giv me the thumpin lows and nerve-breakin highs as much as they can off of portable devices, im kinda lookin at dj headphones, but most of them take a lot more than a cd player or mp3 player 2 push, so im lookin 4 some suggestions

the most i can spend is probably around 100 bucks on these cups, i hav been lookin at mdr-v6 and mdr-v600 the last couple days, but dont hav much i dea yet still, so can u guys suggest somethin 4 this DESPERATE situation of mine?

thx lots guys
lambda.gif

peace

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by csxcsx
580smile.gif
Hey guys, im plannin 2 get my first serious pair of headphones, and i realy hav no idea bout wut 2 get. im no dj, so i dont no this stuf

im generally an on-the-go guy, i ve got no receiver of big stereo at home, normally its just cd player or mp3 player

im lookin 4 somethin that can giv me the thumpin lows and nerve-breakin highs as much as they can off of portable devices, im kinda lookin dj headphones, but most of them take a lot more than a cd player or mp3 player 2 push, so im lookin 4 some suggestions

the most i can spend is probably around 100 bucks on these cups, i hav been lookin at mdr-v6 and mdr-v600 the last couple days, but dont hav much i dea yet still, so can u guys suggest somethin 4 this DESPERATE situation of mine?

thx lots guys
lambda.gif

peace

Try the Alessandro MS-1's, at www.alessandroproducts.com

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 17
Actually, its www.alessandro-products.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Operating principle: Open air
Frequency response: 20 - 22K Hz
SPL lmV: 100
Nominal impedance: 32 Ohms
Driver match db: 0.1

Much better than any listed in the poll
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

yo do u hav the specs 4 these cups?

thx

drop all the ones you have on your list...
do you want open design or closed?
do you want isolation form whats going on around you?
Sounds like if your on the go, youre not going to want an open design, b/c other people will be able to hear your music. (which would knock out the Allesandros and any other Grado can for that matter).
What genres of music do you listen to?
Ill be able to give you a good recommendation once you answer the above.

oh, one more thing.
Which do you prefer:
1)Full sized over the ear, dj type phones
2)Earbuds
3)In ear monitors

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

580smile.gif

Hey um, we're not dj's either. My initial reaction is READ UP AND DO SOME SEARCHES before posting "i realy hav no idea bout wut 2 get"

My second reaction is, buy one of each, especially the expensive ones, try them for a week, then sell them for heavy discount in the classifies here.

My third reaction and ultimate suggestion is, go to headroom at www.headphone.com and read their nice faq.

And of course my other reaction was get a spell checker. Then I just realized I was old...er.

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao
And of course my other reaction was get a spell checker. Then I just realized I was old...er.

Not very nice to a newcomer...

Welcome to headfi! Sorry about your wallet!

About headphones, you may want to tell us what music you like and how extensive is your audio experience - that way we can sort of recommend you certain cans to look up and research about.

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Actually, its www.alessandro-products.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Operating principle: Open air
Frequency response: 20 - 22K Hz
SPL lmV: 100
Nominal impedance: 32 Ohms
Driver match db: 0.1

Much better than any listed in the poll
wink.gif

Ooops, thanks Saturnine
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 17
we need a sticky that says:

"are you a newbie looking for good on the go headphones for less than $100?

if yes, than buy the MS1"

i think ive made about 20 posts with just the word MS1
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 17
I wouldn't recommend the MS1 for on the go use at all. I have the MS1 and I wouldn't use outside the home. It's too open, too flimsy and the bass isn't strong enough for portable use. For home use with rock music the MS1 are excellent.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Another grado sr60 vote here. MS1's would be a great value too and from what I've heard from other headfiers is that its sonically better than the sr60's, I haven't heard the MS1's for myself so I can't comment on which is better. But the value for the MS1's are great.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Not very nice to a newcomer...

Ah yeah. Sorry about that csxcsx. Just meant I had trouble understanding the text orginally. My elementry school teachers in the 70's drilled "proper" spelling and grammer lessons till the students could teach other. Anyone else here remember diagraming sentences?

Anyway. Really, read up a bit on closed vs. open, circumaural vs. superaural vs. IEM. Understand the limitations of the hardware and your own ears. Hear some phones at a meet to train your ears a bit and see if this is what you really want. THEN start asking pointed questions.

Questions like "what should I get," " I don't know," "make a recommendation (without other information)," etc. will have opinions come in from the left and right. You'll be even more confused in the end and still be without an answer. This continues onto lots of unsatisfying purchasing horizontally across brands or vertically within brands. Yes, this is part of the fun, but the more knowledgeable you are, less backtracking, loops, and generally wasted money will be be saved.

Or I'm just being grouchy because I've been sleeping 3 hours each night.

Good luck on your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back