Heed, EC/SS, Woo 6 or RA-1
Nov 11, 2006 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
I know it is fairly immature to ask this question as three of the amps have just came out and hardly anyone has them.

But, I am looking for an amp for my RS-1's in that price range, hopfully lower once they hit the used market. Right now I'm running them straight out of my soundcard, they sound fine but I know it gets better.

I hear the RA-1 is supposed to be special with the RS-1's but the cheapness of the amp inside has me wondering if something else would be able to drive it better and sound better.

If anyone has any experience with any of these amps with the RS-1's I would like your thoughts. I probably won't make a purchase for another few months (ya know, that "saving up" thing) so I'm hoping as time goes on and more people get these amps they will report here with their findings.

I apprciate it everyone and am looking foreward to your thoughts!!

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I know it is fairly immature to ask this question as three of the amps have just came out and hardly anyone has them.

But, I am looking for an amp for my RS-1's in that price range, hopfully lower once they hit the used market. Right now I'm running them straight out of my soundcard, they sound fine but I know it gets better.

I hear the RA-1 is supposed to be special with the RS-1's but the cheapness of the amp inside has me wondering if something else would be able to drive it better and sound better.

If anyone has any experience with any of these amps with the RS-1's I would like your thoughts. I probably won't make a purchase for another few months (ya know, that "saving up" thing) so I'm hoping as time goes on and more people get these amps they will report here with their findings.

I apprciate it everyone and am looking foreward to your thoughts!!

What about the MAD Purist EAR+ HD?

It's reportedly better with the RS-1's, than all of these.

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
What about the MAD Purist EAR+ HD?

It's reportedly better with the RS-1's, than all of these.

Mostly because it's $600 and I'd like to keep it under $400 and even better if cheaper. I don't get a ton of time to listen so investing alot doesn't make sense to me. So I guess the Woo 6 wouldn't be in the running either would it?

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I have only listened to the Heed and the ECSS. If you are going to use the RS-1 I would go with the Heed since it has such a wonderful soundstage which will help expand the usefullness of the RS-1. If you want a more intimate sound then go with the ECSS.

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Mostly because it's $600 and I'd like to keep it under $400 and even better if cheaper. I don't get a ton of time to listen so investing alot doesn't make sense to me. So I guess the Woo 6 wouldn't be in the running either would it?

Right...

I'd be tempted to try the Heed CanAmp then.

Nov 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 6
The EC/SS sounds great with the RS-1 and is an amazing deal price-wise. I have not heard the Heed, but PinkFloyd has done some good writeups on his impressions and Mrarroyo and Boomana have some great comments from their recent mini-meet at JP11801's (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206982). Those both meet your price criteria and it does not seem like you could go wrong with either choice. I don't think the RA-1 could compete with them, and I know nothing about the Woo6. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back