Heed CanAmp vs. Meier Corda Aria
Mar 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

audiofil

500+ Head-Fier
I've been using Aria with my K701 , but curiosity got the better of me.
Also I've seen quite a lot of 'sinergy' related statements regarding Heed and K701.
Unfortunately 'sinergy' is not quite the 1st word I'd be inclined to use for the Aria & K701 combo (they do sound very good together nonetheless).

I'm curious about a comparison between these 2 amps.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 20
I had a short listening session with a Heed. I didn't think it was any better (or worse) than my Aria. If you got a Heed, you would then need to buy a DAC as well and lose the cross-feed option. Both amps have good resale value, so you could just buy a Heed and then sell the amp you liked less.

No comparison is better than your own.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 20
According to the specs on the Meier Audio website, the Aria has the same maximum output current as the Arietta, 250 mA.

I've not heard either of these, but I have compared a HeadFive with my CanAmp. I believe that the HeadFive has essentially the same output current as the Aria and Arietta.

So with my 40 Ohm Ultrasone PROlines (very difficult to drive properly like your 701s), the CanAmp demonstrated substantially more power and control than the HeadFive.

I'm sorry I can't provide a more direct comparison, but I thought I'd pass it along. But as vcoheda suggested above, the very best way to decide is within your own setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 20
Like Dexdexter I have only compared the Heed CanAmp to the Headfive. And like him the Heed not only had more power but it also had larger soundstage, deeper/punchier bass and more extended highs. It was clearer to my ears as well.

Of course it should be expected having 60% higher MSRP (400 vs 250). I also like the looks of the Heed better.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the replies
@vcoheda
What headphones did you use for the Aria vs. Heed comparison?
My main "issues" with Aria & K701 combo regard directly the soundstage and instrumental separation (more precisely: the air around them) which, I feel, can be improved. Can you detail a bit on these.

The crossfeed won't be missed on my account. I seldom use it, usualy it stays on the lowest setting (OFF). I don't appreciate very much the "one flavour only" kind of spatiality given by this processing.

Quote:

No comparison is better than your own.

You got a very good point there: a direct comparison on my system is THE solution, but....(here comes the trickie part) getting a Heed Canamp for this i s bit difficult where I live.
However the final goal is to buy one and compare it to the Aria and perhaps this thread's reason of being is validating this sort of "trial" - if it is worth it or not.
From reading alone I am confident that Heed deserves a chance and it is likely to perform closer to my needs than Aria ... But reading is one thing, listening is another ...
frown.gif

Any other takes on "better match for K701 than Aria", please?

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 20
FYI: The Aria only has one crossfeed setting, so you can either use it or not
cool.gif

I have heard several people, who liked the combo H5 (perhaps Arietta)/ K701 more, since the Aria is a fairly neutral amp. The H5 sounds more tube like in comparison, giving a bit more life to the fairly neutral K701. So the problem certainly lies not in the output current, because i've heard the combo Aria/K701 as well, and there was nothing missing. But for me it was a bit too neutral, not as much fun as with the HD650 for example.

@Dex: That's (a bit) like me saying i think how the 750 sounds, when i haven't heard it myself
wink.gif

Given that the H5/Arietta retail for much less than the Aria, it's only fair to assume, that it might be better.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI: The Aria only has one crossfeed setting, so you can either use it or not
cool.gif

You are right of course.
My usual "lowest setting", that I reffered to, is "crossfeed OFF" - the C.F. switch being on the lowest position (or down).
[I think I over did it with the editing on the previous message. Sorry]

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dex: That's (a bit) like me saying i think how the 750 sounds, when i haven't heard it myself
wink.gif

Given that the H5/Arietta retail for much less than the Aria, it's only fair to assume, that it might be better.

Perhaps, but at least I disclosed that caveat from the outset and was speaking mainly about my experience with the output current with respect to lower impedance cans, which are exactly the same. The onboard DAC and USB connectivity that distinguish the Aria from the Arietta (HeadFive) add nothing to improve upon the amplifier's output current.

And carrying a discussion over from another Head-Fi section does absolutely nothing to help the OP here, when a PM could accomplish the same.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps, but at least I disclosed that caveat from the outset and was speaking mainly about my experience with the output current with respect to lower impedance cans, which are exactly the same. The onboard DAC and USB connectivity that distinguish the Aria from the Arietta (HeadFive) add nothing to improve upon the amplifier's output current.

But the amp sections don't share the same design, so you can't transfer your experience from the less expensive amp to the bigger one, based on one spec, and especially as the HP in question is no Ultrasone but the K701, imho.

And there are reports of people with a H5 and a K701, who liked the combination, so this makes it even a lesser argument.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 20
I don't know if this helps the argument but I have owned the H5 and own the Heed/701 combination. I literally never turned the H5 on after the 2nd day I got it. The Heed did everything so much better, as Mrarroyo stated that I did not keep it. The Heed/701 synergy is very distinct and well worth
pursuing. It has the power that the 701s need (much like my
Ultrasone 2500s) that the H5 could not furnish.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 20
It certainly wasn't an argument one way or another, just an observation considering output current, nothing else.

Obviously, there are plenty of folks who enjoy their HeadFives, Ariettas, and Aria's with the K-701, but the OP is looking elsewhere now, hence this thread.

So if you have a constructive alternative for him, rg, please let us know, instead of using his thread as a platform for whatever grievances you seem to have with me.

I look forward to audiofil's findings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 20
If audiofil doesn't like the combination, he should of course check out every possible solution for him.

And if my first post isn't constructive, i don't no what would be. I told him, that i didn't like the combination either, but that it was not based on the technical specs of the amp, but on the tonality being too neutral for a can like the K701.

The H5 only came into play, because you mentioned him, implying that it might be Jan Meiers amps that couldn't deliver enough current to drive the K701, but that's in my, and many others opinions, not the case.

I highly doubt myself, that the CanAmp isn't better than a H5, reading all the favourable things about him from a variety from different members, but, and here comes the turning point, it isn't about the H5 and the Heed, but the Aria and the Heed (or essentially it's more about, that the K701 might be not a HP with a good synergy with the Aria).

vcoheda has been the only one fortunate enough so far, to had the chance to compare amps both, but perhaps there are others, that might chime in.

and if you think i have a grievance with you, when i simply want to lead an honest discussion about the aforementioned arguments, i simply can't help you.

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 20
I should have another opinion to add in the next week or so. I just sold my Aria to purchase a Heed for my K701.

Everything said about the Aria is correct - it is a very neutral amp. Unfortunately, I do not have a source to "colour" my amp sufficiently to make the K701 "fun" sounding. The hollowness is amplified, and the bass is lacking, even compared to a headphonia. The instrument separation and clarity are both top class though. It just lacks a certain punch, that I know the K701 is very capable of producing.

The Aria is no doubt a fine sounding amp, and very much worth the purchase price. The Sennheisers however, are a better match for the Aria.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies
@vcoheda
What headphones did you use for the Aria vs. Heed comparison?
My main "issues" with Aria & K701 combo regard directly the soundstage and instrumental separation (more precisely: the air around them) which, I feel, can be improved. Can you detail a bit on these.

Sorry. Can't comment more than I did. I owned an Aria for a while and only listened to a Heed for maybe 10 minutes at a meet with my RS1s. My general impression was that it was not any better (or worse) than my Aria. That's about the most I could say. But one of my main setups for a good while was an Aria + K701. They sound very good together.
smily_headphones1.gif
I would also add that next to the Heed was a Gilmore Lite w/DPS. I spent some time going back and forth between the two with my RS1s and preferred the GL. That may be another amp to consider, but have not listened to that one with my K701s.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 20
Well I got hold of a SH CanAmp.
It's supposed to arrive in a week or so.
I've prepared a pair of Elna BlacK's & Cerafines and LM4562 & AD8620 for the ocasion.
I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back