Heed Canamp, Gilmore Lite or Darkvoice 332 for HD600
Feb 28, 2007 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kpp80202

Head-Fier
I know there have been several topics about these amps lately, but I didn't find a head to head comparison yet. My goal is to stay below $500 including shipping/tax/etc for a nice amp for my HD600's. I've done plenty of searches on the issue, and it looks like the best choices in this range for these cans are the Darkvoice 332 ($480 shipped), Heed Canamp (~$420 shipped), and the Gilmore Lite w/o DPS (~$320 shipped).

About me: I listen to a wide breadth of music, with a passion for female vocals and "unplugged" type music. I tried a pair of Grado 225's (which are now for sale...) but didn't like the ear feel or the Grado sound. I bought a pair of HD600's which I love. Source is computer or iPod for now, with upgrade in future at the $300-500 level.

Here are my questions:
Is the Gilmore w/o the DPS competitive with the other two, or does it need the DPS?
How do the sonic signatures of these amps differ in general terms when paired with the Senn's?
Should I skip all these and buy a used Melos SHA-1 locally for $450?

Help me spend my money wisely!

Thanks.

Kevin

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 12
You're right there are so many topics on this already, you won't find a head to head comparison as that would require someone to buy all 3.

Just read the individual reviews and see what catches your eye, they each have their ups and downs.

Also something to bare in mind is the wait time for these amps... The Heed is something like 3-6 Months, Gilmore lite is 3-6 weeks and I have no idea what the Darkvoice wait time is.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 12
All of these are nice amps. I am partial to tubes. But the Gilmore Lite is very good sounding for a SS unit. The one I auditioned had the stock power supply and the amp was extremely quiet and had plenty of power. The Lite works well with a wide variety of headphones senn 600/650, beyer dt880, AKG K701 and any of the Grados. If you want to save a little money the Lite is a proven and well respected choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Heed wait time is nowhere near 3 to 6 months. Check with Dan at Blackbirdaudio.com

Well according to the on-going Heed thread people seem to be waiting a long time for it to arrive.

dw6928 - Have you read akwok's review of the gilmore/650 combo? It was a good read although beware... he changes amps more often than his underwear... *runs for cover*

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 12
I was quoted about 2 months wait time by Dan at Blackbird. Being impatient, i bought a Heed off the for sale forum. Should see it next week, hopefully before I go on vacation. I will try to do a comparison between it and the MG Head OTL MkIII in the next couple weeks.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there have been several topics about these amps lately, but I didn't find a head to head comparison yet. My goal is to stay below $500 including shipping/tax/etc for a nice amp for my HD600's. I've done plenty of searches on the issue, and it looks like the best choices in this range for these cans are the Darkvoice 332 ($480 shipped), Heed Canamp (~$420 shipped), and the Gilmore Lite w/o DPS (~$320 shipped).

Help me spend my money wisely!

Thanks.

Kevin

My Senn 600s have real good synergy with my Darkvoice 336i, I haven't heard the 332, but perhaps they will be similar. They also sound very good with the Heed, you won't go wrong either way. I used to have a Gilmore Lite, but I don't think it sounded as full as either of the other two.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Just over the weekend, I listened to a GL w/ DPS on another member's rig, but with my headphones. It sounded so good, I bought a Lite sans DPS that day. After a few days, I ordered the DPS. I'm not sure if it was the source or the DPS that made the difference, but it just doesn't sound quite as good as that member's setup. Also, a headfier (Asr) recently wrote a pretty long review comparing the Lite with and without the DPS. You should read that thread. Very informative. The cliff note version is that the DPS makes a difference.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 12
All are great amps but the 332 is in another league entirely power-wise. I would go with it b/c it will drive the 600s to their fullest potential and do so smoothly.

if the melos is local why not audition it? I'm sure it's a brilliant amp. same $$ as the 332 and certainly on the same level.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 12
The Woo 3 is also in your price range so you might consider it as well. Mine arrived in a week. If you can find one on the Sale Forums, you might score some good NOS tubes with it as well. The Woo 3 is an excellent amp with my HD-650s and I've read it is great with the 600s too.

Good luck with your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back