Heed CanAmp + 595's = lackluster Bass - Need advice please
Jan 9, 2007 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Johnny5alv

New Head-Fier
Hi

So my Heed CanAmp came through today
smily_headphones1.gif
I set it all up to my home cinema.. The Amp and 595's are to be solely used for TV and DVD's... First impressions are that the sound quality is great but the bass is lacking..A lot.

The thing is, while waiting for the amp to arrive, I was using the 595's on my PC.. And I tell you, the 595's are amazing for listening to music on it.. Bass and then some... So I was thinking of keeping the 595's for the PC.

Now, what headphones to get for watching TV and DVD's? Do I get another pair of 595's and hope that running in the amp will increase bass performance? Or do I get a different set of cans with better Bass? Bearing in mind I don't want to go overkill for my needs (TV)..

I was thinking of the HD650's.. Would this be a better pairing do you think?

Any advice with this will be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Jon

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 27
Having both HD595 and HD650 I can tell you the HD650 has more bass performance, punch and impact for sure. But I think it's a bit overkill for the TV...
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 27
Hi

Thanks for the reply..

When you say overkill, do you mean the price or the performance I will get from the TV? (The amp can drive them no problem).

If I told you that the majority of my TV/DVD watching will be done at night, so headphones are a must.. Is it still overkill?

Thanks
Jon

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 27
I have the Heed, 580s and 650s. My new favorite infatuation is my 580s using a G52 cable, which does emphasize the bass without the heavy feeling of the 650s. I have been very happy with my Heed/650/G52 combo until this weekend, when, at a meet, someone switched out my cables. I'll have to switch back and forth and really listen for a bit to see which I ultimately prefer.

I don't know about the Heed for TV/movies. I don't know anything about that world having not even turned my non-cable ready TV on in a least a couple weeks. It somehow seems to me that that type of set up might require somthing different. I can tell you that the Heed is wonderful for listening to music: speed, detail, and soundstage, though with a slightly more laid-back presentation than other SS amps in its price range (that I've heard). But voices? sound effects? soundtrack music that's layered on top of all that? I just don't know.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 27
Hi

Thanks for the input. Could you elaborate on what is meant by 'heavy feeling' of the 650's?

I forgot to add the DT880's.. I'm looking at those too. I heard that they are good for DVD's - 'Warm sounding' apparently...But I'm not an audiophile so don't fully understand what is meant by those terms.. I do have an idea though.

Thanks
Jon

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 27
The bass in the 650s sometimes has a heavy feel (it's warm and lush). Depending on your tastes and sometimes type of music you're listening to, it can be a pleasurable thing or not. You'd have to hear it to know what I'm talking about. I have always wished for something in between the 580s and 650s (no, not the 600s) and this cable switch seemed to have helped. However, if you're looking for real, quality sounding bass with headphones, go straight to Darth Beyers, and don't look back. In the words of another head-fier here, the bass has speaker weight quality. I don't use mine all the time, but when that's what I want, they're the best.

Oh, don't know about the 880s. I only listened once.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny5alv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

So my Heed CanAmp came through today
smily_headphones1.gif
... First impressions are that the sound quality is great but the bass is lacking..A lot.

Any advice with this will be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Jon

Jon,

Might it be possible that you need to put some hours on the amp to burn it in before doing critical listening?

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 27
Confusing
rolleyes.gif

The 595s are fine for music out of your PC for music with alot of bass you say? They are known to be a brighter, balanced HP... But that's O.K....

I suspect you are trying to replace your HT experience as that is what you are trying to replace. Headphones in general do not replace that type of BASS
basshead.gif
experience ... So I don't believe the amp is the bottleneck, but it is the phones and your expectations relative to the HT experience. As has been suggested the DT-770s (closed), or Senns 650 or the DT-990s (open) would be your best bets for the most bass with headphones for replacement of the HT experience. Do you use a subwoofer with your HT?

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 27
Hi

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Before the Heed came I was plugging my cans straight into my home integrated amp that my 5.1 setup runs from (woofer yes).. The reason I was expecting more bass from the Heed Amp was because this integrated amp was giving it out nicely..The downside to that, there was a lot off background hissing..Obviously the phone jack on that amp was an after thought because on the Heed there isn't a single hiss.

The Bass isn't all gone, just not as deep as it was on the integrated amp. I've read that Amps need to be run in for many hours but I'm skeptical that this would improve the bass a great deal. (But I'm no expert at all, you guys know what you're talking about).

As for Cans with good bass...You mention the DT990's...Would the DT880's be an option? Since they are more within my price range... If there is a great deal of difference I will of course consider the 990's.

If I could just ask one more thing... My setup requires that I use an 3 way audio switch box (so I can select between TV/DVD/360) would these extra connections cause a problem regarding sound quality and loss of bass? I was told a while back it wouldn't and certainly listening to the cans at the moment, they sound great.. But I was ust wondering.

Thanks very much for your replies

Jon

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 27
Heed is not good enough (based on the comment, since I have not heard it personally). I use my NADC320BEE as the bottom line on headphone amp. To me, integrated amp headphone out is about as good as your mid-range head amp offerings.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heed is not good enough (based on the comment, since I have not heard it personally). I use my NADC320BEE as the bottom line on headphone amp. To me, integrated amp headphone out is about as good as your mid-range head amp offerings.

There you go, someone who hasn't heard the heed telling you what it sounds like in his opinion,lol
rs1smile.gif

The Heed isn't the problem as I own it and it's bass is as deep, articulated and full as with my Mapletree dependant upon which of my Phones I choose and their bass response potential.

As I said in my PM Jon, The DT-990pro @ USD 170 would be my suggestion paired to your Heed for TV/DVD/Games with great HP Bass response. They are open (sound leakage) and the DT-700s are not open (little sound leakage) if that's important to you. The only problem with these Beyers in my opinion comes with their use with music due to their extended High Freq. response when paired with less than stellar recordings or otherwise inferior sources. However, for your purposes, this should not be a problem with Games/TV/DVDs HT replacement IMO!

Good Luck~

P.S. Thanx for the lol cheesey
rs1smile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go, someone who hasn't heard the heed telling you what it sounds like in his opinion,lol
rs1smile.gif

The Heed isn't the problem as I own it and it's bass is as deep, articulated and full as with my Mapletree dependant upon which of my Phones I choose and their bass response potential.

As I said in my PM Jon, The DT-990pro @ USD 170 would be my suggestion paired to your Heed for TV/DVD/Games with great HP Bass response. They are open (sound leakage) and the DT-700s are not open (little sound leakage) if that's important to you.

Good Luck~

P.S. Thanx for the lol cheesey
rs1smile.gif

Thanks ! Not only have you given me relief from the previous post but I've looked at your DT990 Pro recommendation and I like it.. I've found them in the UK for £86 ($166).. I have a problem with choosing hardware, since I tend to look at the price first (in my head I tend to go with expensive is better).. I'm starting to accept this isn't always true. In my case, going for full blown DT990's at £250 ($485) with my audio sources is probably a bad move.

So thanks again. I'll be ordering the Pro's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jon

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny5alv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ! Not only have you given me relief from the previous post but I've looked at your DT990 Pro recommendation and I like it.. I've found them in the UK for £86 ($166).. I have a problem with choosing hardware, since I tend to look at the price first (in my head I tend to go with expensive is better).. I'm starting to accept this isn't always true. In my case, going for full blown DT990's at £250 ($485) with my audio sources is probably a bad move.

So thanks again. I'll be ordering the Pro's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jon

Good move Jon on the DT990pros for your purpose. Also note, many here still do like them for music, but we always get into this comparison as to being relative to what context we are hearing at the time. I could go on, but you get the idea. People here will spend alot more for a little improvement, and it IS worth it to them and myself when thought of in terms of long term listening (music presentation) pleasure ever more fine tuned to our preferance. Especially if they turn over their previous equpment with only a 20% loss in investment. However again, for your purpose the 990pros are a great choice.

You ask:
If I could just ask one more thing... My setup requires that I use an 3 way audio switch box (so I can select between TV/DVD/360) would these extra connections cause a problem regarding sound quality and loss of bass? I was told a while back it wouldn't and certainly listening to the cans at the moment, they sound great.. But I was just wondering.

A well implemented switch box would not be the reason for your experiencing lackluster bass response from the 595s, I am quite sure. Couldn't you hook up without it for a test, as a process of elimination of that "switch box" being a problem. That would be the test there...

Good luck, enjoy~

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your sig says you've got an Ayre AX-7e, so you must be having a laugh here.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back