Heavy Grado Modding Project
May 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #61 of 81
You slid the cable through shoelaces!? Simple and brilliant! Can anyone reccomend a kind of lace or a certain style? How do you thread it through the insides? Im considering doing this to protect my stock ESW9 cable.

May 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #62 of 81
Well I don't know if some shoelaces work better than others. Try it out! 
smile.gif

May 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #63 of 81
Here's a quick render I made of a solution to your hinge problem... It's a bit harder to make though.

I suggest you do it in the following order:

1) Cut the two right blocks, but don't round the edges yet
2) Fit them together, and press them in a vice
3) Drill the holes straight through
4) Round the edges on a belt sander. They don't have to be perfectly circular; just enough so the two parts won't rub against each other when turned. Also, only the sides in the direction of rotation need to be rounded off. If you want to make it easier on yourself, just grind those sides off at 45° if thickness permits, or bevel them at 30° and 60°, then bevel the resulting angle off again so you end up with a 3-faced bevel.

You're going to need a pretty accurate drill press for this. Also, you may need to make the "hinging" parts thicker if they're too thin to laterally drill through.

Once you're done, it's up to you to decide how you want to fit the pieces together. Possible options:

1) Thread the lower right block's holes, re-drill the upper right block's hole a little larger (outer diameter of the thread you just tapped), screw together (looks best with a nice screw on both sides) and use a little superglue on the last bit of the screws' thread to keep parts together.
2) Just use nuts and bolts if you don't care about the looks.
3) Flare the outsides of the lower right block's holes, insert a pin that's slightly longer and flare its ends with a small hammer. Kind of similar to how knives or straight razors are pinned.
4) If the materials you use allow for it, go wild and find some way to incorporate a nice mosaic pin, like this one:

May 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #65 of 81

Quote:
Here's a quick render I made of a solution to your hinge problem... It's a bit harder to make though.

I suggest you do it in the following order:

1) Cut the two right blocks, but don't round the edges yet
2) Fit them together, and press them in a vice
3) Drill the holes straight through
4) Round the edges on a belt sander. They don't have to be perfectly circular; just enough so the two parts won't rub against each other when turned. Also, only the sides in the direction of rotation need to be rounded off. If you want to make it easier on yourself, just grind those sides off at 45° if thickness permits, or bevel them at 30° and 60°, then bevel the resulting angle off again so you end up with a 3-faced bevel.

You're going to need a pretty accurate drill press for this. Also, you may need to make the "hinging" parts thicker if they're too thin to laterally drill through.

Once you're done, it's up to you to decide how you want to fit the pieces together. Possible options:

1) Thread the lower right block's holes, re-drill the upper right block's hole a little larger (outer diameter of the thread you just tapped), screw together (looks best with a nice screw on both sides) and use a little superglue on the last bit of the screws' thread to keep parts together.
2) Just use nuts and bolts if you don't care about the looks.
3) Flare the outsides of the lower right block's holes, insert a pin that's slightly longer and flare its ends with a small hammer. Kind of similar to how knives or straight razors are pinned.
4) If the materials you use allow for it, go wild and find some way to incorporate a nice mosaic pin, like this one:

I like it!

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #70 of 81
Pictures of my "redesigned" mod:

New and changed:
Aluminum cups
Glasblated finish 
Hinges instead of "sliding rods"
Detachable cable (two mono ports)
Fixed headbands (two bolts in each)
Much better hinges
Bought a slappa headphone case, I highly recomend them.

Unfortunately I screwed up one of the drivers and am now looking for a new pair of donor cans.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #73 of 81
Wow, that's a fantastic build! I wish I had the time, money and patience to do something like this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back