Heavy Grado Modding Project
Apr 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 81
Wow. Looks awesome. Grados are just a ton of fun to mod and play with. Wish I had taken pictures of my first grado mod, doesn't stand up at all to this level of work though. Kudos.

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #47 of 81

Quote:
I forgot to add, did you polish the housing at the very end?

I sanded them by hand and used contact glue, and I didn't polish them.
To sainkeat I figured out that my price for my structure was far to high, but I won't set it lower because the whole thing is really hard to do. So I am working on an easier structure right now.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #50 of 81

Quote:
I sanded them by hand and used contact glue, and I didn't polish them.
To sainkeat I figured out that my price for my structure was far to high, but I won't set it lower because the whole thing is really hard to do. So I am working on an easier structure right now.

Perhaps nix the collapsing feature? Maybe even the Double headband, although... I love that part.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #51 of 81

Quote:
Perhaps nix the collapsing feature? Maybe even the Double headband, although... I love that part.

actually... I'm not sure how much the gimbals are costing you, but I imagine some people would be interested in Just the gimbals, or just a double headband like that.... So if you could make either on its own on the cheap.... You might wanna think about it. I dunno, just trying to toss ideas at you and its late :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #52 of 81
Well I could easily make a bunch of "gimbals" (didn't know that word, just looked it up
smily_headphones1.gif
). If somebody is interested pm me, It won't be expensive.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #53 of 81
Just heads up for people wondering about the sanding process. 

The lower the GRIT, the more rough and sanding the paper will do, the higher the GRIT, the more smooth the sanding process is going to be.

60Grit, very rough
120Grit, rough
500Grit, gradually smooth
1200Grit, very smooth
2000Grit, fine smooth

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #54 of 81
Apr 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #55 of 81
O.P: that headband is diabolical! I see Grado and usually think steampunk, but you've managed to make a headband that I think will make them seem downright futuristic!

Narutofan: I wouldn't start out with 60 grit, that will be so rough you'll never get the scratches out. The goal of sanding is to remove material with the first step (coarse sandpaper) and smooth out the scratches from the previous step with each successive step. I'd go with something more like 150grit, 320 grit, 600 grit. 60 grit will be like assaulting it with a handful of gravel (and is usually used on things like furniture that has many coats of old paing on it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back