Heavy EQ for headphones. Damaging to drivers?
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pbal

Head-Fier
Hi,

I got some LCD-3s recently that have some big dips/spikes in the 2k - 10k range. I have been creating an EQ preset in Equalizer APO to smooth the frequency response. Although, to smooth the big, and sometimes abrupt, dips/spikes, the EQ needs to be pretty heavy. I'll attach a photo. I was wondering if such heavy EQ could strain the drivers in ways they weren't designed for, potentially damaging or reducing the life of drivers. Does anyone have any info or experience with this?

eq.jpg

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 8
No assuming actual waveform is not clipping and your amp has enough power to not clip.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I think what you need is a new LCD3. My LCD3 only required minor adjustments of a couple dbs to sound correct.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8
How is the data gathered? 1/3 octave? smoothing? L+R combined? Your data may not be that accurate.

Do you have acoustic reference type recordings? Do you have headphones or speakers of equal or better fidelity? Start with your LCD-3's set to your setting and keep comparing to a reference sound.

My own personal tuning is between 120-14k I don't offset more than 3 db from "flat" up or down - to avoid phase issues (which my first fixed EQ had) for one and none of the cans I like are off that much. Outside of that range I will go higher - but not yet past 4 db. Just my way, an example only.

For all: Parametric is the way to go, and keeping those Q's tight. One other thing I observe in many is the desire to hear 20 Hz and 20kHz the same volume as 3kHz. Folly. Human hearing isn't flat.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 8
How is the data gathered? 1/3 octave? smoothing? L+R combined? Your data may not be that accurate.

Do you have acoustic reference type recordings? Do you have headphones or speakers of equal or better fidelity? Start with your LCD-3's set to your setting and keep comparing to a reference sound.

My own personal tuning is between 120-14k I don't offset more than 3 db from "flat" up or down - to avoid phase issues (which my first fixed EQ had) for one and none of the cans I like are off that much. Outside of that range I will go higher - but not yet past 4 db. Just my way, an example only.

For all: Parametric is the way to go, and keeping those Q's tight. One other thing I observe in many is the desire to hear 20 Hz and 20kHz the same volume as 3kHz. Folly. Human hearing isn't flat.
Hey, thanks for your response and info. I just EQ by ear, by listening to frequencies and sweeping through, making corrections like that. I don't have a measurement rig. So that EQ I posted is all just personal preference, what sounds smooth and good to me. And I do realize its not supposed to be flat, I am aiming for mostly smooth and comfortable.

But that is a good idea, using reference recordings, and comparing to other speakers and headphones for further corrections. I'll do that also.

What are the phase issues you had? I did notice there is some imbalance in some upper frequencies between the right and left, in a few spots. I was thinking about specific corrections for those areas also. Would that be a good/bad idea?

Does parametric have a technical/quality advantage over using variable bands that are smoothed out? I have always done parametric in the past but it seems a little harder to control than just dragging points/bands around.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 8
I think what you need is a new LCD3. My LCD3 only required minor adjustments of a couple dbs to sound correct.
That's possible. But I've had a few other LCD models and another pair of LCD3s also, all of them I thought needed fairly similar corrections.

Although, I've been listening to these without EQ today and I think they sound pretty great. So maybe I can tone down the corrections a bit for these.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey, thanks for your response and info. I just EQ by ear, by listening to frequencies and sweeping through, making corrections like that. I don't have a measurement rig. So that EQ I posted is all just personal preference, what sounds smooth and good to me. And I do realize its not supposed to be flat, I am aiming for mostly smooth and comfortable.

But that is a good idea, using reference recordings, and comparing to other speakers and headphones for further corrections. I'll do that also.
Thanks
What are the phase issues you had? I did notice there is some imbalance in some upper frequencies between the right and left, in a few spots. I was thinking about specific corrections for those areas also. Would that be a good/bad idea?
Way back when I had a fixed octave soundcraftsman, and if you were +3 at 512 and -3 at 1024, you could hear it. So I sold it. Much more recently I started using digital parametric and I cannot detect any negative effect - still I use 6 bands instead 10 so I just go after the stuff that's a notable problem.

Does parametric have a technical/quality advantage over using variable bands that are smoothed out? I have always done parametric in the past but it seems a little harder to control than just dragging points/bands around.
It's harder but more exacting, and I use the least I can - so if the peak is +4.5 at 1k and fades to +1db at 800 and 1300. I'll set it to about 3.2 db at 1k and have it at ~.25 at 800 and 1300. No heavy hand. You can never get that sort of control from a fixed EQ - well maybe if it's 50 slides.

This is for my modded HE-500, can't get that with fixed settings

The LCD-3 I heard had a trough from 1.5k-5k centered around 3k worse than all my HFM cans. Needs maybe a low shelf +1.75 db from 55 down and another 1.75 from 30 down.

ps: love the LCD-4 OG.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-193147~2.png
    Screenshot_20221202-193147~2.png
    292 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back