Heavy distortion in midrange and treble with USB DAC
Nov 18, 2016 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Beyakusenn

1000+ Head-Fier
After connecting my USB DAC to a new PC, I first had normal sound, but after a minute or so, the sound starts distorting heavily in the midrange and treble. It can become less after a long while and it can even disappear completely, but the distortion usually stays.

It is not the DAC itself, as it works properly with my other PC.
It isn't the USB port either, as I tried all USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports on my PC.
It sin't the sound settings (enhancements turned off), nor the USB power options.
The cable has been replaced with another cable from which I was sure it was working properly. There was no improvement.
The distortion is present with all sounds made by the PC, so not just music.
The PC is connected to the same stable power source as the PC.

My current system consists of: an Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX Muses Edition, STAX SRM-3 paired with the SR-407, my operating system is Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I have been trying to find more information on it, to no avail.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply.
I had already checked my drivers and re-installed my DAC. As far as my PC can tell, everything should be working just fine. All other USB devices are working properly. That includes a printer, an external hard drive, a webcam and a Bluetooth receiver.
Now, after the PC ran for over 3 hours, the distortion seems to be gone. I will see whether it makes a difference if I turn it off, leave it for a while and then turn it on again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back