HeAudio 1.3, 1.2B and the new JADE Stat Headphones
Feb 4, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #2,611 of 2,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nvm then, sorry.
frown.gif

frown.gif
sorry Larry, it is just not very practical to fully re-cable these wood phones.

If you are willing to go for a 80% recable (like I mentioned before, 10" original pigtail cable from each cup) then we can work something out. It won't look super pretty but will give plenty of SQ improvement. It is probably the safest way to upgrade the cable without risking introducing dust partical into the drivers.

The side benefit of keeping 10" pigtails: if the cable somehow get snagged during use, the pigtail/stax connecting points will be the weakest spot in the whole cable so the damage will likely happen there (outside the cups, easy access easy repair), instead of somewhere deep inside the wood cups.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #2,612 of 2,677
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
sorry Larry, it is just not very practical to fully re-cable these wood phones.

If you are willing to go for a 80% recable (like I mentioned before, 10" original pigtail cable from each cup) then we can work something out. It won't look super pretty but will give plenty of SQ improvement. It is probably the safest way to upgrade the cable without risking introducing dust partical into the drivers.

The side benefit of keeping 10" pigtails: if the cable somehow get snagged during use, the pigtail/stax connecting points will be the weakest spot in the whole cable so the damage will likely happen there (outside the cups, easy access easy repair), instead of somewhere deep inside the wood cups.

I understand. I'll just stick with what I have for now.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #2,614 of 2,677
I have one of these on the way.

May 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #2,617 of 2,677

Quote:
has anybody done a comparason between the Jade and the HD800?

I have - the Jade/WES amp combo gives the HD800/ZDT a run for it's money.  The Jade have a little more bass quantity but don't extend as low as the HD800, while both have vivid mids and a nice treble sparkle.  Detail and speed on both is very good, but the Jade seem to be less fatiguing when used with the wrong amp or source. The Jade soundstage is fairly shallow in comparison to the HD800 or O2 Mk1, although nicely wide and separated and spacious.  I still prefer the HD800 soundstage over everything else except K1000 or Sigma 404.  Neither is as warm and euphonic and neutral sounding as my O2 Mk1, nor do they have the bass presence of the O2, but they can be very entertaining and transparent when needed.  

May 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #2,618 of 2,677

Quote:
I have - the Jade/WES amp combo gives the HD800/ZDT a run for it's money.  The Jade have a little more bass quantity but don't extend as low as the HD800, while both have vivid mids and a nice treble sparkle.  Detail and speed on both is very good, but the Jade seem to be less fatiguing when used with the wrong amp or source. The Jade soundstage is fairly shallow in comparison to the HD800 or O2 Mk1, although nicely wide and separated and spacious.  I still prefer the HD800 soundstage over everything else except K1000 or Sigma 404.  Neither is as warm and euphonic and neutral sounding as my O2 Mk1, nor do they have the bass presence of the O2, but they can be very entertaining and transparent when needed.  

You do such a nice job with your short right to the point answers thanks!!!!

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #2,619 of 2,677
Sorry for the huge thread necro but it's been awfully quiet around these parts and since i'm somewhat interested in these one of a kind headphones, i was wondering if anyone has faced with any new problems with the Jades or has opinion changed somewhat with the arrival of the 2 new orthos?

Do these still ship with the weird 5pin XLR? I've managed to read just 20 pages back but will continue reading through the rest of the thread these few days.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2,620 of 2,677
I did a brief comparason on HE6, LCD2 and Jade (my recabled pair). The Jade was driven by headphoneAddict's WES, while the ortho's were driven by ZDT (also owned by headphoneaddict).

The Jade/WES combo won by quite a bit of margin, but for the price difference it should be. If I have not put serious $$ into high-end phones, I'd just get a HE6 and connect it to a speaker amp (assume you also have a good speaker rig) and call it good. Still won't be as nice as the electrostatic rig, but close enough. And much much cheaper (just the HE6 plus recable, everything else comes from the speaker rig).

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #2,621 of 2,677
Yeah, but I'd bet a good majority of people here use their headphones in a place other than by their speaker amp.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,622 of 2,677

Don't have a good speaker amp with me now so i'll just be powering the Jades with the SRM-1/M2 which i think would be ample considering i've powered O2s with them.

Any comments on the 5pin XLR and does HEAudio still sell the XLR to STAX adaptor or provide in-house retermination? Fired off an email their way but have yet to hear back.

Quote:
I did a brief comparason on HE6, LCD2 and Jade (my recabled pair). The Jade was driven by headphoneAddict's WES, while the ortho's were driven by ZDT (also owned by headphoneaddict).

The Jade/WES combo won by quite a bit of margin, but for the price difference it should be. If I have not put serious $$ into high-end phones, I'd just get a HE6 and connect it to a speaker amp (assume you also have a good speaker rig) and call it good. Still won't be as nice as the electrostatic rig, but close enough. And much much cheaper (just the HE6 plus recable, everything else comes from the speaker rig).

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2,623 of 2,677
Fang said he is going to go back to the drawing board with stats once he perfects his dynamic can.

I'd say that my Jade and Blue Hawaii is a step above the HE-6/amp combo.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2,624 of 2,677

And rightly so i would say, considering the BH and it's stratospheric price. Wow, i'll fire off and email to enquire about the new stats if any then. The Jades with their 30days trial does look tempting tho!

Quote:
Fang said he is going to go back to the drawing board with stats once he perfects his dynamic can.

I'd say that my Jade and Blue Hawaii is a step above the HE-6/amp combo.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #2,625 of 2,677
I have a BHKE made by someone else. It wasn't that expensive. Just got new EL-34's that rock. Much better than the modern Mullard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back