Heathkit AC-11
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a Heathkit AC-11 laying around. It came connected to my HF-81. I'm not entirely sure what it's for. It has a knob on the front that says Channel Separation. It lights up, and is in great shape. No rust, looks as good as the day it was assembled. Anyway, I assume that it is used to take a solo source that is stereo, and separate left and right to be plugged into an amp. Am I right? Is there any use for it nowadays where it's easy to separate a stereo source with a $3 cable from radioshack, or is it more complicated than that.
Thanks!

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
The Heathkit AC-11 is an MPX decoder, you connect it to get stereo FM. Here is a pic.

heath-ac11-01.jpg

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 4
mrarroyo;3315175 said:
The Heathkit AC-11 is an MPX decoder, you connect it to get stereo FM. Here is a pic.
In what situation would this be used? I thought every stereo contained a left and a right out. I have the radio unit that matches the HF-81, albeit in POOR POOR shape, I'm going to go check out the outputs.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 4
luckypictures;3315255 said:
mrarroyo;3315175 said:
Quote:

In what situation would this be used? I thought every stereo contained a left and a right out. I have the radio unit that matches the HF-81, albeit in POOR POOR shape, I'm going to go check out the outputs.

In the old days (40's, 50's, and early 60's) most manufactureres made FM tuners that were mono. To be stereo you had to add the MPX decoder, which were an internal add on or an external unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back