heat
Apr 26, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 19
I say it depends on the headphones.
The size of the 'phones, how hard they clamp around your ears, and not to forget how 'open' they are.

I find the AKG K1000 to be much cooler in summer than the Stax SR-007. Although they both are open.

Apr 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The size of the 'phones, how hard they clamp around your ears, and not to forget how 'open' they are.

I find the AKG K1000 to be much cooler in summer than the Stax SR-007. Although they both are open.

<insert "I see what you did there" picture>

The AKG K1000 are ear speakers. They don't even sit on your ear, let alone surrounded it with pads/foams. -.-"

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 19
To me closed cans are hotter and make me sweat more than open cans. Having said so I have found that if I replace the pleather pads in some cans (Equation Eartools RP21 or Ultrasone HFI-780) w/ velour pads from other manufacturers (Beyer DT880/990 or Beyer DT250/280 respectively) the issue is significantly reduced.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me closed cans are hotter and make me sweat more than open cans. Having said so I have found that if I replace the pleather pads in some cans (Equation Eartools RP21 or Ultrasone HFI-780) w/ velour pads from other manufacturers (Beyer DT880/990 or Beyer DT250/280 respectively) the issue is significantly reduced.

Hmmm... velours and warm summer = wet earpads
frown.gif

and still warmer than open headphones anyway.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And when open phones are still too hot, break out the IEMs.

In hot weather IEMs become every bit as uncomfortable as closed headphones if not more so. Ear cannal sweat is not an enjoyable feeling. Where do you think all the heat came from to begin with? The same place you're plugging.

K1000 works. Or simply use speakers or some light clip ons like KSC75s.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In hot weather IEMs become every bit as uncomfortable as closed headphones if not more so.

Your ears must be different from mine, then. I'd much rather wear IEMs in hot weather than any other kind of phones.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The K1000 transcends open.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In hot weather IEMs become every bit as uncomfortable as closed headphones if not more so. Ear cannal sweat is not an enjoyable feeling. Where do you think all the heat came from to begin with? The same place you're plugging.

K1000 works. Or simply use speakers or some light clip ons like KSC75s.

IMO, IEMs are uncomfortable anyway. Now, I've never had a set of customs, and I may have been inserting them wrong, but nevertheless, they make noise in my ears when I walk, and they're irritating. Full-size open FTW!!!

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And when open phones are still too hot, break out the IEMs.

And when those get too hot, grab your biggest, warmest closed phones and hop on a plane to the North Pole!
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, IEMs are uncomfortable anyway. Now, I've never had a set of customs, and I may have been inserting them wrong, but nevertheless, they make noise in my ears when I walk, and they're irritating. Full-size open FTW!!!

Foam tips usually help with the noise and comfort compared to the flange tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back