Heartbeat sound when wearing headphones
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 24
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 24
Yeah open headphone will keep your eardrum from becoming a stethoscope. Think about it...you seal a membrane ( i.e. eardrum ) and due to its proximity to your veins and arteries in your neck you are essentially hearing the blood flow.

Loosening up the seal will help or going with a slightly open headphone is another great suggestion.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 24
Yeah open headphone will keep your eardrum from becoming a stethoscope. Think about it...you seal a membrane ( i.e. eardrum ) and due to its proximity to your veins and arteries in your neck you are essentially hearing the blood flow.

Loosening up the seal will help or going with a slightly open headphone is another great suggestion.

I have all open headphones and a very loud artificial aortic valve and I never hear any of it.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 24
Have you tried an open-backed headphone like the Sennheiser HD599?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280823-REG/sennheiser_hd_599_open_around_ear.html

Or do you need the sound isolation of a closed back? The open back otherwise could potentially relieve or reduce the issue.
I tried the HD650 once, returned then because they had an insanely smooth sound to the point it was annoying, i needed a more neutral sound as a producer

i dont remember about the heartbeat sound tho. should i buy the hd600? heard its more neutral. but i do enjoy the focus that isolation gives me yeah, its jsut the heartbeat ruining it

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 24

which ones would u recommended?

i recommended going all in and buying an lcd-x, however heard they are heavy as hell

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 24
I tried the HD650 once, returned then because they had an insanely smooth sound to the point it was annoying, i needed a more neutral sound as a producer

i dont remember about the heartbeat sound tho. should i buy the hd600? heard its more neutral. but i do enjoy the focus that isolation gives me yeah, its jsut the heartbeat ruining it
The hd600 is very neutral yes. Hd650 is known not to be.

I had recommend hd599 because it was cheaper and more in line pricewise with other headphones you had bought.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 24
HE650 and HD600 have very similar sound signatures. It's going to be a big waste of time and money to go with the HD600. I've owned both and prefer the HD650 as it has better treble detail. Other than that they sound identical to me. You can dig around Innerfidelity and see the measurements to convince yourself of this too since you have not heard them side by side.

You say you are a producer so you may need a slight seal to extract the details. Perhaps something like the Aeon Flow Open would suffice? See if Dan Clark Audio has one for sale and see if you can audition it for a week.

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 24
Well since the consensus in this thread is that open-back headphones are the way to go to stop this pulsing heartbeat sound and you don't like the HD650s I'd suggest the open variants of the closed ones you own: Beyerdynamic DT880s and AKG K612

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 24
Well since the consensus in this thread is that open-back headphones are the way to go to stop this pulsing heartbeat sound and you don't like the HD650s I'd suggest the open variants of the closed ones you own: Beyerdynamic DT880s and AKG K612
Would also say from a production standpoint the HD800 [non-S] are pretty ideal open headphone for "seeing through the mix" but these are quite the price jump (even used) from any of the headphones mentioned by OP.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 24
What about the LCD-X comapred to HD800? my concern is that its too heavy.
The HD800 weighs half as much as the LCD-X, if thats what you mean?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 24
yeah the lcd x being heavy concerns me to spend many hours with it producing

will technology allow for an lcd x thats ligther?
LCD-MX4 is about 30% lighter than LCD X but both heavier than hd800

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back