Hearing The Unexpected In Recordings
Sep 21, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 32
There is also a distinct bass thump at 1:34...but again I think its part of the ensemble movement...or maybe the truck closed its door. And another bass nuance at 1:58...

Anyhow just got my Beyer pads back from washing em so will try some more since these impart much more deep bass in the form of physical sensation which would probably cue me in more.

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
There is also a distinct bass thump at 1:34...but again I think its part of the ensemble movement...or maybe the truck closed its door. And another bass nuance at 1:58...

Anyhow just got my Beyer pads back from washing em so will try some more since these impart much more deep bass in the form of physical sensation which would probably cue me in more.

I'll listen to those later to see what they sound like. But the 3:01 sounds very much like a truck through the 7506's -- but I don't feel nearly as sure with my HD-600's.

Regarding how it just pops up: When a truck passes a window, sometimes you only hear it right when it's passing directly out front. And though I'm still not 100% positive just what it is, it sounds like it is shifting, with the subsequent abrupt application of the gas pedal after the shift....and then it gradually disappears as though passing. I wonder if this studio was located anywhere near an alleyway...

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 32
Heh with the Beyers it definitely can pass more as a truck...but I don't care about it anymore...really I'd still rather think of it as acoustic reverberation than a truck...its more...ummm...pastoral that way that way....

I mean come on jude! Don't you see the album cover...or the album title...Appalachian Journey! As far as I'm concerned I like the imagery of them playing in some scenic green pastoral field with big mountains behind em or something.

Heh...but I'll give in once I hear the truck backing up going "beep..beep...beep".

Anyhow that whole album is full of low-level deep DEEP bass...I often wonder if the instruments themselves could produce it...but I look at Edgar's bass and assume it could. BTW whats the low bass rumble in the beginning of the ablum?

Sep 21, 2001 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 32
Does the liner notes state venue of recording? Was it a church or concert hall, where outside noise could possibly leak into the recording? Else, a studio recording would make it virtually impossible for an outside noise to enter. Unless a neighboring room was recording an action flick
biggrin.gif

BTW, how you guys like the music? I'm a big fan of Meyer... fabulous bassist and equally talented composer. Ma has repeatedly proved himself in many musical styles, and O'Connor is one of the best violinists out there, handily beating much of the current crop of mechanical, conservative "talent". Hmm... wonder why I don't have this cd
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 11:14 AM Post #20 of 32
Tim D: LOL! If you listen carefully at 3:05 of that track, you'll hear the reverse gear "beep-beep" and some guy screaming, "Back'er in careful, Sam!" Just kidding, of course! I know what you mean though -- let's assume it was his bass, if only to be in keeping with the spirit of the cover photo.
wink.gif

Moooooooooo: I checked the liner notes (I hadn't really read them before, and they were very interesting), but I didn't see mention of where they recorded it. As Tim pointed out earlier, some of the photos in there would indicate that it could have been a music hall or something like that. Where they were in the liner notes photos doesn't indicate a recording studio, but they may have just been practicing there or something. Hard to say where they were, but further listening on the 7506's points to truck for me (err....sorry, Tim....I mean, umm, thunder....that's it....
wink.gif
) Yes, Moo, this is definitely an album to get.

Sep 21, 2001 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 32
That SACD of 'Monk Straight No Chaser' on Between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea just kicks ass. You can hear Monk's voice humming along, slight ambience and depth over the high notes.

I like the clean chair squeaks in 'Mingus Ah Um' during Bye Bye Porgie Hat.

One interesting thing about comparing the SACDs to their redbook versions is in the deepest bass notes of an upright bass - you can hear the power and natural reverb of lowest notes so well w/ SACDs like Mingus Ah Um or Miles Smiles(SBM need not apply
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Another thing is the weird floating over tones of horns that I couldn't make out with the CD versions, another thing that SBM butchers.

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 32
Okay, this is a strange one but...I'm a big fan of glenn gould, and on his 81 recording of the goldbergs, I can hear a symphony of some sort playing in the background on track 16 around 1:21ish that continues all the way to the end of the track. It's as if the sound proofing in the studio wasn't working very well and the symphony down the hall sort of leaked in. Anyone else notice this?!

I never heard it on my grados, and certainly not on my speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, once I got my etys and listened to the Goldbergs in blissful silence I noticed the weird ghost symphony!

Sep 21, 2001 at 4:02 PM Post #24 of 32
Jim,
I have that SACD and was just listening to it last night. I spent several minutes trying to adjust my cables to see if they were picking up RFI interference!

Then I rewound the disc to that point and sure enough, those sounds repeated. What if they re-recorded over tape that had some other music on it?

BTW: are you pro or con on his humming? I find it distracting.

markl

Sep 21, 2001 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 32
markl,

Yeah, I thought I was getting some interference at first as well! Especially since the shielding on your typical ratshack gold cables aren't anything to shout about...

I'm still listening to redbook, but it's there too. I'm sure it's even more noticeable on SACD! You might be right about the engineers reusing the tape; perhaps they forgot to erase it first and it bled through. I find it pretty hard to believe that the studio's sound proofing could have leaked like that. Wasn't this recorded at CBS's 30th street Studio?

As for his singing...the first time I heard him I wanted him to shut up. Afterall, not only is he singing, but his voice isn't exactly the same quality as Pavarotti either! However, after listening to his recordings for a couple years, I've gotten used to it. To me it just wouldn't be the same if there was no humming and tah-tahing in the background!
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I think I read someplace that his 1955 Goldbergs are not only more jubilant and youthful, but also lacking the humming as well. Can't say for sure because I've never heard it myself. I can say that his 1957 recording of Bach's Piano Concerto No.1 in D minor really has no humming though. Only problem is that it's in mono...

Sep 21, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 32
Speaking of Glenn Gould, I have a CD of his Bach 2 and 3 part inventions, and on the cover of the CD there is a photo of him sitting at the piano in the studio- on a rickety old wooden chair; sure enough, you can hear this poor chair in many places on the recording. The combination of the occasional creaking of the chair and of Goulds humming along at various points is really amusing.
By that I mean up to a point it shows how he disdained petty niceties and conventions. If he felt liked humming, he hummed. If he wanted to sit on a wobbly chair for the sessions, he did. I'm only thankful he didnt have a habit of eating beans beforehand.. I mean enough is enough!

Sep 21, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 32
The liner notes to the SACD Goldberg variations mentions that Gould was a fairly tightly wound fellow (almost sounds obsesive/compulsive) who used that same same chair his entire career because it was precisely 14" off the ground, the "correct" height. Interseting chap.

Wasn't there some recent documentary about him? I've got to try to find it. I'm intrigued.

Mark

Sep 21, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

I'm only thankful he didnt have a habit of eating beans beforehand.. I mean enough is enough!

LOL!!! That would be very strange.

That said, I can hear "humming" or *something* throughout Straight, No Chaser (remastered redbook CD).

During a hindi pop song, I can clearly hear *someone* moving around, and saying what sounds like "Hey that's nice" very quickly. Recorded clearly at that - it was audible on 821s!

Hmm.....what else.....I guess the next best thing to the above two is the sound I can hear if I listen closely enough to Milonga Triste by Gato Barbieri - he runs out of breath at times, and I can hear the reed shaking a little as he sucks in his next breath....it's a weird sound.....faint woozy sound.......

Sep 21, 2001 at 10:10 PM Post #29 of 32
Hey coolvij,
Indeed, Monk has the exact same bad habit as Gould! I have the SACD of Straight No Chaser, and that's another thing I noticed for the first time thanks to SACD. So there's piano players humming on 2 of the 3 SACDs I own! Who knows, maybe they all hum?

markl

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:49 AM Post #30 of 32
I can't believe I forgot the worst hummer of all time : Jimmy Smith. On 'Organ Grinder Swing' he not only humz and groans. On the first song he starts saying incoherent and random statements like: " blah...butter flavoring"

If you go to Jimmy Smith shows he'll sometimes start incoherently talking to the audience.
eek.gif
One time he even got in trouble for insulting an audience member.
biggrin.gif

On Oscar Peterson 'Trio + One featuring Clark Terry' Clark Terry imitates a drunken bluesman at a pub he used to go to as a kid - two songs are called "Mumbles" and "The Incoherent Blues" which feature Terry singing completely incoherently. It's pretty funny the first time you hear it, great CD.

One more...On Miles Smiles during "Orbits" you can hear Wayne Shorter tapping his sax making a 'ting sound'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back