Hearing protection for musicians
Oct 31, 2002 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elipsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I've been back here, but I have a specific question I hope someone could help with.

I'm an electronic musician, and the live shows I play typically involve PAs running at nightmarish levels of sound pressure. I've got a whole bunch booked for the next few months, and alongside the damage I've already inflicted in my idiotic youth, I don't really want to lose any more hearing than I already might have.

Who's used the various musician-grade earplugs, and what gave the best results? Are the etymotic custom moulded ones worth the price? Naturally, I'm looking for the flattest attenuation possible.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 5
elipsis
I use ETY Er 20 plugs for concerts etc.
They offer a pretty flat response and respond to a little positioning tweaking to optimize sound without undue loss
of attenuation.

Personally if I were a professional musician I would spend as
much as I could possibly afford on a pair of top of the line audio
grade items.
The art is important but the hearing is essential for the art, eh?

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Check out the Etymotic web site www.etymotic.com, and also the Sensaphonics web site, www.sensaphonics.com.

Sensaphonics specializes in hearing protection.

You can get custom fitted earplugs that consist of custom made earmold that take Etymotic filters of various degrees of attenuation. The Etymotic web site has links to audiologists who provide these services.

BTW, I found that using the Ety ER-20's at live concerts, they really cut the crowd noise but didn't affect the music much. The ER-20's are sold as Musicians Earplugs at pro audio dealers.

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Nov 4, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I believe I use rebranded Ety's:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/35825

They are the most neutral of the ones I've tried (although they roll off more of the top end than, relatively, anything else).

Interestingly, I bought a set of 12db plugs that look just like Etys the other night, so I think I'm in the same boat as you. Off the top of my head I can't recall the brand, but my appraisal is basically the same as yours: they sound decently flat, way better than regular silicon or foam plugs, but high end is still rolled off to an extent. Definitely worth the us $16 I paid for them.

The 12db of attenuation is also an acceptable level, allowing the music to remain quite loud but not frighteningly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back