Hearing Loss
Dec 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

santtosz

New Head-Fier
Hello head fiers, im kinda new in this community but im having a problem and i would like to hear your oppinions, I'm 20 years old and since my 15s i often wear headphones/earphones, i always hear them at 100% of volume straight from my ipod or my laptop (no amp or dac) im noticing that maybe i loss some hearing because SOMETIMEs, 100% doesnt seem loud enough and im a bit worried, i mostly hear ROCK, POP, EDM.

actually im using a sennheiser momentums and my iphone as my source (16 points of sound) 

how much do you think i should listen my music? i just LOVE to max out my volume and using a mid level of volume seems like i cant appreciate the quality of my headphones, but my health is first so, give me any recomendation please.

Santosz !

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 18
If you have always been listening to music at full volume on what are fairly low impedence cans/IEMs with a moderate to high dB/W rating(90+) then you are quite likely to be harming your hearing.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 18
I've got permanent tinnitus since age 12 (I'm now 25) from listening too loud to the (infamously loud) sony Walkman cassette player, so yes, hearing damage is certainly something to take very seriously.

If you tend to max out your volume, unless you are very lucky, you may very well have damaged your hearing. My advice is to go have them tested by going to the doctor, I did. I had my tinnitus confirmed, but luckily I hadn't damaged my hearing and could hear the normal full range for a human of my age.

Nowadays I always wear earplugs to concerts & clubs, but I still tend to listen to very loud volumes from my portable players :/ not easy to lay off the habit... and my tinnitus has gotten worse.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I think your ears will adjust to lower volume listening once you change your listening habit. I know mine did.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 18
You should be OK at 75% with most cans, depending on how long you listen for.

Thing is, hearing damage is not only caused by loud volumes, but also by extended listening.

For example, if 100% would damage your hearing in 10min, 75% may start getting dangerous after 2 hours... you could use charts like these as a reference for "safe" listening:
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html. It's not impossible to imagine that at 100% you'll be around 115dB (loud rock concert, and 20dB over the level where hearing damage might happen) (you'll find recommended hours at x dB levels further down).

More on iPod specific dB/hearing loss: http://ipod.about.com/od/generalmaintenance/a/avoiding-ipod-hearing-loss.htm

Note that none of these sources should be taken as 100% correct, but they give good guidelines.

I personally don't follow any lists, but it's always good to have an idea.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 18
While I don't have the tools to measure how loud my headphone sounded, I rely on my hearings and of people around me. I set the initial listening volume and put my headphone on the table. If it sounds like a set of small speakers, then it's too loud and I lower the volume.

I know it's not scientific but it works for me.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Hello head fiers, im kinda new in this community but im having a problem and i would like to hear your oppinions, I'm 20 years old and since my 15s i often wear headphones/earphones, i always hear them at 100% of volume straight from my ipod or my laptop (no amp or dac) im noticing that maybe i loss some hearing because SOMETIMEs, 100% doesnt seem loud enough and im a bit worried, i mostly hear ROCK, POP, EDM.

actually im using a sennheiser momentums and my iphone as my source (16 points of sound) 

how much do you think i should listen my music? i just LOVE to max out my volume and using a mid level of volume seems like i cant appreciate the quality of my headphones, but my health is first so, give me any recomendation please.

Santosz !

Overtime, listening off your ipod or laptop will not satisfy your needs and you will require more...........what you need is a amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back