Hearing loss? Training? Bad fit?
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

limin

100+ Head-Fier
So in the past week, I have noticed that I am noticing the bass (particularly the percussive attack) more in my right ear than left and i have no idea why. I have had shure se530's since last september, and only recently have begun to notice this and i'm trying to determine why.

I have a desk with a logitech z-2300 2.1 set up, with the subwoofer on my right, and I'm starting to think taht extended listening with a subwoofer pointed at me from the right has caused my brain to over emphasize the right ear, does this make any sense to anyone?
i also am fearing slight hearing loss in my left ear, but i am relaly hoping that someone can put that fear to rest by saying yes, indeed, the positioning of a forward firing subwoofer can play tricks on my mind.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 9
I recommend an earwax check.

If all else fails, schedule an appointment with a doctor to have your ears flushed/cleaned.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 9
i was hoping it wouldn't go that far... i literally have the subwoofer sitting 2 and a half feet to the right of me, in front by maybe half a foot, so all of hte bass goes into my right ear and almost none goes directly into my left... is that at all a plausible explanation? i hate the doctors haha

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Not really plausible, no. If anything, your left ear would be compensating and/or your right ear would be less sensitive.

I can't make any medical recommendations, including use of long showers and Q-tips, but I think you might be willing to take your life in your hands and clean your ears.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 9
if you are that afraid of cleaning your ears or having someone else do it, chances are the filters in the IEM's are clogged up with yuk. your theory is a bit LOL funny. no chance buddy . logitech hehe I doubt they could make a gnat deaf. and subs are less dangerous than fullrange speakers for the ears anyway. any reason you have the sub so close. since you dont really hear the bass they put out, and its not terribly directional

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 9
i'm not saying deaf, i was thinking maybe it was some sort of psychoacoustic thing where i really hear it the same amount in both ears but since i am so used to it coming from the right that maybe i overweight the right.

@ qusp: with all due respect to your PHAT post count and such...my ears are clean, I wouldn't want to know what $400 iems are about without knowing to clean my ears in order to hear them... i'm not top trumps on my maths and science but i'm pretty sure it's not the brand but the power output and distance that determines volume and therefore capacity to cause hearing loss... and at this distance, there is a distinct difference in hearing the woofer depending on if its to the right, to the left, behind or in front, so i politely refute your claim

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Why fool around with your hearing? There are any number of factors that can result in decreased hearing, or over-sensitivity to certain frequencies in one ear. Most of them are not permanent, but sometimes it can be a symptom of other problems. Go to a clinic or your regular doctor and get your ears checked. Consider it money well spent to prevent future problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back