Hearing Loss From Music Players - NYTimes
Oct 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Watch out, the NY Times just found out about tinnitus and personal music players:

"Noise from personal music players is a routine annoyance for travelers on buses, trains and planes. But it also threatens permanent hearing loss for as many as 10 million Europeans who use them, according to a scientific study for the European Union that will be published Monday."

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 17
haha, another report blaming music player and headphones for hearing loss when some people just don't know when to turn off/down the music

in my opinion, if anyone else besides you can hear what you are listening, the volume is too loud

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

But it also threatens permanent hearing loss for as many as 10 million Europeans

Well I'm not European, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Btw;
Quote:

In 2006 a man in Louisiana filed a lawsuit against Apple, claiming the company had failed to take adequate steps to prevent hearing loss among iPod users.

What a *********. Take responsibility for your own damn actions. If this turned into a limit on the volume, I'd be pissed.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take responsibility for your own damn actions. If this turned into a limit on the volume, I'd be pissed.

:wink: of course some newer personal players have that feature (but AFAIK one can turn it on and off)

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 17
I blame W.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 17
The ISO has mandated a mains plug with which you simply can not zap yourself, unless you are trying really hard to do so. I suspect the ISO will handle this new opportunity to save the people from themselves in much the same manner...
frown.gif

Further, I can only hope this hearing loss is due to those nasty, low-quality ear buds and gummi phones. [
confused.gif
ksc75smile.gif
confused.gif
]

Laz

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 17
The problem is, too many people use headphones with bad isolation on public transport. They then proceed to turn the volume up on their music players to drown out outside noise. The end result is a very loud volume.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Many people also think the IEMs are bad for your hearing as the sound is deep in the canal - I actually think that after using IEMs, I'm listening to music with lower volume than before, hence better. I switched to IEMs because I found myself cranking it up real loud in subways and buses - and some of these newer players have weak output and couldn't drive my PX100 properly.

Music players and headphones don't make people loss hearing - it is how loud they choose to listen to music!

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 17
I think this is an important issue that many more people need to realize. If it takes a lawsuit of Apple to bring about awareness then so be it. I also don't agree that it is only idiots who are at risk. 95% of people how crappy non-isolation phones on their ipods and therefore if they try to listen to their player at the gym, on the subway, or god forbid while mowing the lawn or vacuuming they will certainly be hurting their hearing. This is not something that is immediately obvious to even the most intelligent people. If you are at the gym and you can just barely hear your own music then it must not be too loud right? Obviously this is wrong but I don't think it takes a complete idiot to fall for this mistake.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #15 of 17
Keep this rule in mind:

If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back