Hearing Impaired person needs a new sound system with less Bass!
Jun 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hard of Hearing

New Head-Fier
Okay, I recently started buying CDs again (Until now I mostly bought stuff on iTunes) because I realised you could actually get the hard copy cheaper as a CD if you knew where to look. Plus I like having backups. So loads of Ladytron CDs on their way.

Right now I have an old JVC system from the early 2000s, its a piece of ---. Whenever I put a CD in it I am dissapointed the songs sound better even on my MacBook Pro and the Bass overwhelms the vocals completely, I can't stand that. I hear bass better than other stuff and so while everyone else wants more bass, more bass, I just don't. Can anyone please make a recommendation for a complete sound system, that is both good quality (long lasting etc) and cheap? max budget would be 500 Euros in total, I know this isn't a lot but well hopefully someone here has an idea! :)
I tried many headphones over the years (I know, nothing to do with the sound system but just to explain why I can't stand too much bass) from Shure to Sennheiser In-Ear phones and always too much bass. In fact the best earbuds I ever had - Yes, I kid you not, please don't make fun of me - was the standard apple earbuds that come with the iPhone, I had never heard anything that sounded better to me. Yeah, I'm serious. The bass was just right.
Thanks everyone! :D

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I noticed that the vocals are not specially loud over the music. On your MAC try to experiment with a software graphic equalizer with some bass cut and a slopping raising curve and see if it can bring out the vocals better. If that is the case you could add a outboard  graphic equalizer or get a AV receiver that has DSP processing and a built in graphic equalizer for your needs. What happens if you use the tone controls on your old receiver if it has one?

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Maybe try some full size, bass-light headphones like the AKG K701 or Audio-Technica AD1000. I assume by your JVC system you're talking about some sort of integrated boombox thing, those are never going to be calibrated for sound quality or accuracy.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Maybe try some full size, bass-light headphones like the AKG K701 or Audio-Technica AD1000. I assume by your JVC system you're talking about some sort of integrated boombox thing, those are never going to be calibrated for sound quality or accuracy.

It's the JVC UX P5R which I am going to throw away in a few days.

I think it's time for me to move on the next level when it comes to music, I just want a good durable system but I'm such a newbie! Could anyone tell me what I need?

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 10
For a full system invest in a decent graphic equalizer (can even be used in your headphone rig). If you don't want to do that and want a headphone setup get some Sennheiser HD280pro or AKG K701, they are both fairly bass light

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Don't understand what kind of system you want - headphone based or CD/amp/speakers? Probably best to go to your local store and listen to lots of Ladytron to make up your mind. 

You could also just get some Audioengine speakers and plug them into your Macbook :)  I doubt you will be dying of too much bass 
smile.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Don't understand what kind of system you want - headphone based or CD/amp/speakers? Probably best to go to your local store and listen to lots of Ladytron to make up your mind. 

You could also just get some Audioengine speakers and plug them into your Macbook :)  I doubt you will be dying of too much bass 
smile.gif

Yes, that's what I mean! :D CD/Amp/Speakers, and I don't want any of the features such as USB port of internet connectivity or anything like that, don't need that. I just want something on which I can listen to all kinds of music, from rock to pop and from classical to opera. The key features for me are: No plastic, Long Lasting, Tough.

Any suggestions? Sorry I am such a newbie. I'm not saying it shouldn't have any Bass, the bass shouldn't be the main feature though, vocals are the most important aspect in music, at least to me. If possible I'd like a setup which looks elegant but that's not the most important thing.

Thanks guys!

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh, you want a one-box. Here's the thing - probably best to just get the box, and get proper hi-fi speakers separately. Speakers have a huge affect on the final sound, and are usually what makes one-box-with-speaker systems sound like crap.

Sorry I don't know much about one-box systems - have a read of this. The Arcam looks nice. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s got a great write up in Stereophile, and are pretty cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back