Hearing Damage - how to avoid ?
Sep 22, 2007 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Buckster

100+ Head-Fier
I love listening to music and podcasts - and do so for about 3 hours at work every day (better than the distraction of other peoples conversations etc)

but ... get a bit concerned re hearing damage.

I always strive to listen as low a level as possible - but I find it hard to work out sometimes an enjoyable level vs a safe level ... I tried a SPL meter up against one of the ear cups - and was below 80dB - but I'm not sure if thats a good way of measuring.

since I had an ear infection about 5 yrs ago - if I listen to any loud-ish music (and this is headphones or speakers) - and we're not talking ear damage loud - I get a real fullness in one ear ... the hearing isn't affected - but it feels like you have something down your ear, or the ear isn't quite cleared (like when you've descended on a plane). and in fact if I then try and clear my ear using my nose and blowing it does seem to pop like its trying to equalise ?

any ideas ?

thanks guys, Mark.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 5
the general rule of thumb that I got from my hearing professor is just leave the volume at conversation levels like how loud it would be if someone was talking to you regularly in a quiet room, a lot of people make it the equivalent of being shouted at. Also a lot of people have a tendency to turn it up as you go, I usually start at a very low baseline and work my way up so I end up at something safe, not start at something safe and go up from there. Another issue with headphones, some sound good at high volumes (dangerous but its the truth) but of course there are those that sound good at low volumes too (the dt880 is one I remember was particularly good for this)

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 5
thanks good tips. I'll try the starting very low - its amazing how quickly you get used to a low volume -especially late at night.

one thing I definately don't do now is listen to anything but closed back headphones in the gym .. I was amazed at how loud you had to listen with standard in-ear headphones or open back ones in the gym because of the ambient noise ... and you don't always realise either.

Also I'm careful in the car now too .. my car is quite noisey at motorway speeds ... but I hadn't realised how noisey and how much it meant I had to increase the volume of the headunit. Since it has a digital volume read-out I could tell the normal volume I listened to on the move. I was shocked when I listened at this volume with the engine off ! and when I measured it with a SPL meter .. 90dB eek ! Now listen much quieter - even if it doesn't sound as fun and loud/

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried a SPL meter up against one of the ear cups - and was below 80dB - but I'm not sure if thats a good way of measuring.

The head-fi way is to cut a hole in a piece of cardboard for the tip of the SPL meter and to seal the cup with the cardboard. I don't know how good that is but it seems about right (comparing to the SPL I perceive from speakers and such).

Quote:

since I had an ear infection about 5 yrs ago - if I listen to any loud-ish music (and this is headphones or speakers) - and we're not talking ear damage loud - I get a real fullness in one ear

If you haven't done so already, you might want to see a doctor about this. There might be a simple explanation (and hopefully a simple fix).

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Hearing damage is time depentant.

80db will be fine for 3 hours (on the higher side if safe though) but what you need to think about is the rest of the day. Driving you car with the windows open, using a hair drier, etc, all counts too!

Try to limit other loud activities (wear ear plugs) and save the "loud" times for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back