Hearing Conservation Program...thank goodness.
Dec 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

HonestBlues

Head-Fier
As a medically retired helicopter mechanic (back problems),I thank goodness for the hearing conservation program started by the military back in the late 60's and early 70's.Because now at my age of almost 60 I still have most of my hearing intact.Sure,I suffer from some age related upper frequency loss,as most people do as we grow older.But having worked on flight-lines and Army helicopters for more than 35 years,it could have been a lot worse.Many former service members that I have worked with over the course of my career started out before the program was enacted and sadly most of them suffer moderate to severe hearing loss.That would be heartbreaking to me because just like all of us here,I love my music.That said,in this age of great personal music players and equally great headphones,I can't help but wonder if some folks are damaging their hearing on a daily basis by overly loud listening levels.And any damage can occur slowly over a long period of time until one day you are asking people to repeat what they just said.Please take good care of your hearing because any ability you may lose now will never come back.OK...I will get down off of my soap-box now.Thanks for letting me rant for a minute.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 2
I constantly keep caught by my self listening too loud on phones. Not damaged my hearing yet and hopefully never will. When I was in a military we allways used double protection for hearing on training. Active peltors and under it earplugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back