Heard new Oasis CD
Jun 30, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Noel is a dick but a talented one.

he recently called Kylie (minogue, MINOGUE! sheesh, do americans know who she is?
biggrin.gif
) a "demonic little idiot". lol

Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe are great albums.

Hell yeah, Kylie is that hot aussie babe...oh mommy!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #17 of 58
Theres no point trying to argue about subjective matters like what rock music you like but I think Morning Glory was one of the 5 best CDs of the 1990's not a weak track on the entire CD, this is a greatest hits CD!

If you want to go by what British music mags say, look at any list of 50 best Cds of the 1990's you will see 2-3 Oasis entries
they are darlings of British 90's music along with Radiohead, not that it means anything to me as far as music I like. Noel is just jerking the press around as usual downplaying previous great material, in the same breath he will tell you Oasis is the greatest band ever, just playing mind games..........the music speaks for itself.

I am surprised how popular Definitely Maybe is, this is not top 40 type material, very heavy feedback laden tracks heavily influenced by shoe gazing movement, I really like it but I think average listener would not dig it. Turned the feedback back a notch for Morning Glory so more accessable to average listener.

Still can't figure out why people don't like "giants" CD? There is some real quality work here.......Gloco why are you down on this CD? BTW I agree with Noel that "be here now" is the weakest CD as you can see from my list above.

Jun 30, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Still can't figure out why people don't like "giants" CD? There is some real quality work here.......Gloco why are you down on this CD? BTW I agree with Noel that "be here now" is the weakest CD as you can see from my list above.

I listenened to it 3 or 4 times when i first picked it up...i hated it. To be quite honest, i really loved "be here now" for quite a while and was still into the songs on that album when SOTSOG came out. Maybe i should give it another shot, i'm definitely going to pick up heathen chemistry though.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 58
When I go to local Best Buy Tuesday to get Oasis "heathen chemistry" I 'll check if they also have new JAMC (jesus & mary chain) CD called "21 singles". I saw the track list and this is great singles collection CD from the feedback masters.......be great if they have both!

Also isn't strange that both Bowie and Oasis release new Cds with the title "heathen"........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i really like jesus and mary chains too especially that single featuring hope, sometimes always. she is such a hottie!

I have all JAMC Cds, and think they are all great except 2 weaker efforts:
-automatic
-stoned & dethroned
Newest Cd Munki is actually quite good, but hard to match the greatness of 1st two CDs:
-psychocandy
-darklands
Speaking of Hope Sandoval I really like Mazzy Star's 1st Cd:
-she hangs brightly
the song "blue flower" is just amazing, this CD blows away their 2nd CD which the critics always rate as their best.

Jul 1, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Speaking of Hope Sandoval I really like Mazzy Star's 1st Cd:
-she hangs brightly
the song "blue flower" is just amazing, this CD blows away their 2nd CD which the critics always rate as their best.

Mazzy Star is one of my favourite artist, definitely worth checking out. unfortunately all my mazzy star records are on tape.
mad.gif

i have to get it all on cd one of these day among many other like REM.

i do think her second album "So Tonight That I Might See" is her best. i love the whole album, its so seductive and trancey.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 58
Well I have the new Oasis CD, got it for $11.99 at Best Buy.
Unfortunately this CD overall is a disappointment for me. The
first three tracks are great, bringing back memories of first two Cds, feedback turned up these tracks rock. I think track 3 "hung in a bad place" is one of Oasis best tracks ever!

Unfortunately its all downhill from here as remaining songs are mid tempo introspective type ballads that strike me as rather uninspiring, not my cup of tea. Then what really ticks me off is CD has hidden track, with 30 minutes of silence following track 11 to get to hidden part, (not cued as track 12) this alone is enough to get me down on this CD.

So unfortunately even though I have only heard this once, it will rank as my least favorite Oasis CD. Here is my revised ranking:
-Morning Glory
-Masterplan
-Definitely Maybe
-Standing on Shoulders of Giants
-Be here Now
-Heathen Chemistry

Jul 2, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 58
DA, how depressing, now i dont give a damn to buy the cd (and i was actually looking foward to it).

Dave Matthews Band are releasing a cd this month, man it better be good!

Jul 2, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
DA, how depressing, now i dont give a damn to buy the cd (and i was actually looking foward to it).

Yes too bad, think I will keep the CD but it is my last Oasis purchase, the chain has been broken. Gloco you need to get the
"giants" CD it is solid and very good, probably get good price at half.com

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Yes too bad, think I will keep the CD but it is my last Oasis purchase, the chain has been broken. Gloco you need to get the
"giants" CD it is solid and very good, probably get good price at half.com

I have the giants cd, plus the LP as well, alright...i'll give it another spin, i also have familiar to millions on Lp (bragging)

very_evil_smiley.gif

So i'm not the only one that has that "chain has been broken" feeling when a band puts out a really lousy cd...damn shame.

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Well I have the new Oasis CD, got it for $11.99 at Best Buy.
Unfortunately this CD overall is a disappointment for me

Are you surprised at this? Oasis have become a parody of themselves. One weak Beatles rip-off after another. McCartney should sue since every second song sounds like "Rain".

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Are you surprised at this? Oasis have become a parody of themselves. One weak Beatles rip-off after another. McCartney should sue since every second song sounds like "Rain".

I have to admit it looks like their best days are behind them.

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #29 of 58
Well this thread has taken a down turn
frown.gif
. I've yet to listen to the new album, but I won't let the negative comments bias me. In response to Dark Angel, my critical view of the later Oasis albums reflects their movement away from shoegazing and psychedelia, and into midtempo plodding tracks that don't really catch hold of me. I've also grown tired of their sound. Liam really changed his vocal style after their magnificent Definitely Maybe, and now just belts it out. It hurts my ears after a while when the whole album is sung at full throttle (well maybe that's an exaggeration). Alan White's drumming really annoyed the **** out of me on his first two albums with the band, but now he's less conspicuous. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Noel's lyrics... ouch.

While it can be said that Oasis is no longer a cutting edge band, there's been enough change in the last couple of years for them to arouse my attention. I expect to hear more of what Liam can offer to the band, and to hear a more skilled band that has fresh ideas. We'll see.

favorite Oasis tracks: first 6 on Definitely Maybe, Acquiesce, Whatever, Roll With It, Married With Children.

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 58
Just picked up new Oasis 2CD 18 track hits collection stop the clocks

Notes say remastered at Metropolis Mastering, song selection weighted heavily to early albums (as well it should be!) will play more today to see if remastering has made noticeable improvement.

Very nice package, thick booklet jammed with cool pix and nice CD label artwork. Best Buy selling version that includes additional 4 song stop the clocks EP along with 2CD set all for only $9.99.......great deal especially if sound is improved.

Where are the Oasis faithful.........jump on this before price goes back up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back