"Hear" the compression
Apr 22, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

deviationer

100+ Head-Fier
Samples.rar - FileFront.com

So awhile ago I found out that you can "hear" the compression being used on audio. The best way to do this is use a portable player and pull the mini-jack out just slightly, maybe a 1-3mm.

For this sample I took a couple of clips of wavs ripped from the retail cd. Then I encoded each at 128/192/320 using LAME (3.98 B6), CBR, Stereo, Very High Quality (q=0), using CDex.

Then I transfered those to my 6th gen 80gb ipod and using my LOD I recorded those samples using Sound Forge.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 17
This OP's thread ftl.

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 17
I simply noticed that I had a high pitched noise ADDED to the recording. Some kind of electrical interference or something.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 17
with my trusty beyerdynammic dt880 and good high quality sources, i don't so much 'hear' the compression as feel it. my ears begin to itch a bit and if the compression is really apparent (anything below lame vbr at 256kbps) i begin to sweat. currently, i am only using the ultrasone dj1pro and thus am not sweating or hyperventalating but there is this twinge ...

it is a 192kbps mp3 of no known origin (armin van burren ASOT 246)

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with my trusty beyerdynammic dt880 and good high quality sources, i don't so much 'hear' the compression as feel it. my ears begin to itch a bit and if the compression is really apparent (anything below lame vbr at 256kbps) i begin to sweat. currently, i am only using the ultrasone dj1pro and thus am not sweating or hyperventalating but there is this twinge ...

it is a 192kbps mp3 of no known origin (armin van burren ASOT 246)

I hate to bring bad news but it sounds like acute compressitis. If it continues you may need a compressectomy. Be brave, my friend, be brave.

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riolist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to bring bad news but it sounds like acute compressitis. If it continues you may need a compressectomy. Be brave, my friend, be brave.

lol very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with my trusty beyerdynammic dt880 and good high quality sources, i don't so much 'hear' the compression as feel it. my ears begin to itch a bit and if the compression is really apparent (anything below lame vbr at 256kbps) i begin to sweat.

umm.. wow
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 17
It could be that you're using a beta version of the LAME encoder...the current version released in Sept. 2006 is 3.97. Don't mess with beta, man...

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 17
You all are blissfully uninformed!! There is no difference between...say iBuds and the Ultimate Ear 11 series! Its alllll psychological! They both sound exactly the same, but since you spent 1.1K on one of the two, it _HAS_ to sound better, or so you convince yourself. With the power of positive thinking, your iBuds WILL sound completely awesome!
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You all are blissfully uninformed!! There is no difference between...say iBuds and the Ultimate Ear 11 series! Its alllll psychological! They both sound exactly the same, but since you spent 1.1K on one of the two, it _HAS_ to sound better, or so you convince yourself. With the power of positive thinking, your iBuds WILL sound completely awesome!
biggrin.gif

we are the ones uninformed... doesn't seem like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back