heaphones recommendation for Gaming, Classic/Hard rock, some metal
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

uziyourillusion

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the audiophile scene and looking to get a great pair of phones for heavy gaming(BF3/4, CS:GO, War Thunder). The headphones will also be used for music ranging from some classical music all the way to nothing heavier than Metallica, Mostly focusing on classic and hard rock. Think Guns N` Roses, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd...that sorta thing. It's difficult for me to describe the sound I want as I've never had a great pair of headphones, but if I had to guess I would prefer a smoother sound overall to reduce fatigue but with plenty of bass on hand for gaming. I dont need a lot, however.

I've used a few Sennheiser in the past, like the 280pro, and enjoyed them, so I have a preference to Sennheiser. But, I'll consider all options :).

I've been looking specifically from the HD 598, HD 600, and HD 650. I realize thats sorta a wide gab, but I'm willing to spend up to the HD 650 if it gives a significant upgrade from the HD 598. I've actually read a few people preferring the HD 598 which is why I'm considering it as well.

I only have on-board audio so I'm also going to need recommendations on either a soundcard or a DAC/Amp. I'm not familiar with either of these. The Asus Xonar STX seems to be what I'm looking for, however. The 1/4 input would also allow me to record guitar tracks? That's a huge plus for me.

Here are my PC specs if that's at all relevant:

I7 920@4.2ghz
6GB DDR3 PC 1600
EVGA 3-way SLI X58
2x GTX 760 in SLI
WD Black Caviar 2TB
Corsair TX 750wPSU
CM HAF-922 case

Anyway, much appreciation in advance, can't wait to hear what you guys recommend! :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 5
Hello!

What's your MAX budget? The HD598 is indeed a great pair of headphone but definitely does not play well on bass as it has a rolled off bass. The HD600 does have pretty good bass and overall sound but without good amping, it will should veiled! It is best to stick with tube amp for it xD

If you wanted some bass, most open headphones will not serve you well

Billson :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 5
600s and 650s are both great,tho 650s have more bass,but both need adequate amping

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you tried Grados by any chance? Just thought it worth mentioning because many people find them far better for rock and metal than any other headphone.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Heya,

Since you're gaming and going after listening to audio, I would look at the Sound Blaster Zx instead of the STX.

As for headphones to pair, based on your descriptions, here's where I would look:

Hifiman HE-300
Hifiman HE-400
Philips Fidelio X1
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back