Heaphones for Classical Music - Through a Laptop - $150 and less
Mar 29, 2014 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SSJChar

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my dad a set of headphones to use at work (has his own office) and at home at night in the kitchen, so they don't have to be closed. The source will be his laptop and I'm thinking around $150 or less, with of course less being the better option. He listens to mostly classical and some opera. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and of course if there is a really really good set of headphones that are just a bit above the price range, I would take those into consideration too

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 19
You can find the Q701 for $150 in the classified. Also they are occasionally around that price or lower on Amazon warehouse. The laptop will be okay but not near ideal for it though.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 19
thanks for the replies.  Sadly I'm in Canada and prices aren't quite as good as it is in other countires ($279.99 for the HD 558s). I'll try to keep an eye out for deals.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 19
Grado SR80i + G cushions (99 + 25 USD on Amazon). I´m a classical music lover (4-8 hours a day) and have the next setups:

-Grado SR80i + G cushions + Fiio E7 (Office)

-AKG K702 + Burson Soloist (Home)

-Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm + Bottlehead Crack (Home)

-Rottel Amp + BW 685 speakers (Home)

I can assert confidently that the Grado SR80i + G cushions combination is as good as the others for classical and jazz music, despite the price fact. After some EQ to cut a bit the high frequencies (Grados have a tendency to harshness if not EQ), you'll enjoy a great pair of cans for a ridiculous budget. G cushions improve dramatically the Grado's comfort (the default S cushions are unbearable) with no damage of the sound quality, at least for classical music. Although I use the SR80i trough a Fiio E7, I find it is almost as good when plugged right to the headphones outlet of the Mac. 

Best regards.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 19
HUH?
How has no one here mentioned Audio Technica ATH-AD700X?
- Dead easy to drive
- Classical is a bit of a highlight for AT with their warm mids and crisp highs
- Dunno about in Canada but in Australia you can get them for $139 AU shipped, so I can't imagine they're much more in Canada.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 19
  The HD 558s can be found for less than $150, and sound great.

Precisely what I was thinking, and you can do the inside sticker mod to improve treble and clarity.

Grado SR80i + G cushions (99 + 25 USD on Amazon). [...]

I can assert confidently that the Grado SR80i + G cushions combination is as good as the others for classical and jazz music, despite the price fact. After some EQ to cut a bit the high frequencies (Grados have a tendency to harshness if not EQ), you'll enjoy a great pair of cans for a ridiculous budget. G cushions improve dramatically the Grado's comfort (the default S cushions are unbearable) with no damage of the sound quality, at least for classical music. Although I use the SR80i trough a Fiio E7, I find it is almost as good when plugged right to the headphones outlet of the Mac. 

I've tried 80i + G-cushions but much as I enjoy Grados for organ and vocals, they're too colored for orchestral or piano.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 19
I definitely recommend Beyerdynamic DT 660. I was looking for the same thing a few month ago. After reading the following reviews by DavidMahler (thanks to him), I decided on this pair, and I cannot be happier that I made that choice. These headphones are phenomenal on classical music! In addition, it's closed and it has very low impedance (32ohm). So you don't need an amp and you can just use them with your laptop. However I love them so much that I invest on Schiit Magni/Modi to pair with them to bring up their full potential, and I do feel some improvement. But even without an amp the phones already sound amazing. Here are the links to the reviews I talked about:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 19
I second HD558 and SRH840, whichever and however you can get them.
If not, then HD280.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 19
The DT 880 Pro. 250 ohm. You'll get them for $185 on Amazon. They are incredible for classical - and since classical tends to be well recorded, I've never once heard any of the fabled treble sharpness on them. Plus, they run very well off my iPhone & Macbook Air, directly off the headphone out. An amp benefits them, but they are good enough without one. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 19
  The DT 880 Pro. 250 ohm. You'll get them for $185 on Amazon. They are incredible for classical - and since classical tends to be well recorded, I've never once heard any of the fabled treble sharpness on them. Plus, they run very well off my iPhone & Macbook Air, directly off the headphone out. An amp benefits them, but they are good enough without one. 

I find this very hard to believe. (And I've heard the "fabled brightness" too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back