Heaphone Crackling Problem
Jan 26, 2005 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

d00dz

100+ Head-Fier
Here is the problem I am having and I've NEVER had this problem until recently.

I'm using MDR-EX71's and when I go outside everything is fine even though it is -25C outside. However after I go back indoors after a few seconds my sony's start cracking and it actually HURTS my ears...it feels like, a few of my microscopic ear canal hairs are pulled out (that's the best that I can describe it). I've only noticed this recently and this only happens with the headphones.
I would also like to point out that they play fine and there are no krinkles that I can notice from low bass tones.

I was thinking about it, and my best answer to this is that, the sony's membranes are shrinking/increasing in size rapidly and thus causes rapid horizontal driver movement. And since they are canal phones with a seal, they cause my ear drums to rapid move causing pain. Thinking about this, im gonna take out my phones before I move in indoors from now on.

Does anybody know what is happening, and/or anybody else having this problem?

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 2
um, i'm thinking that it has to do with the silicone sleeves. when its cold, the sleeves shrink in size, making it much easier to push the plugs farther into your ear canal. so when its warm again, whats happening is that the sleeves are actually expanding back to their normal size inside your ears.

i dont know if this is the cause, but the idea just popped in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back