Heady Award: Most Annoying voice -- Female Vocalist
Mar 4, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
This is the woman I was thinking about. ... Mrs Miller. I must have been 8. (Sorry for the big pic. Who post pics this big?)

Now I need to find some mp3s.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

This is awesome.. I'm laughing but my ears are crying. Mrs. Miller sample MP3

Mar 9, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #47 of 61
Okay, I bought "Vespertine" today and [size=medium] I AM REINSTATING MY VOTE FOR BJORK [/size] as most annoying female....vocalist. I mean, she can sing, but she certain does more than her share of pointless yowling, droning on that album. (oh boy, I hope lobster san misses this one)

And then there's:

"I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him." BJORK=YOKO

(Otherwise, it's a pretty cool album)
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #49 of 61
And she has one very strange accent, unless she was trying miserably in "Dancer In The Dark" to do a British accent - which would make no sense as she was supposed to be Czech. Perhaps it was that movie, but whenever I hear her speak I just cringe.

Paul Mc Cartney says that when you sing its just comes out in an American accent. That's nice to hear about something American.

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #51 of 61
I try to block this stuff out at the gym with my dorky HD 280, but Celine Dion's awful yelling gets through.
I understand Norah Jones is supposed to be capable of good singing, but the tracks they play at the gym sound like bad country western or rockabilly or something.

My wife likes Natalie Merchant, but I think she has a very weak voice.

Flame away!
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #52 of 61
StuartR:

Alannis is a caterwauling hag...and angry at the world to boot. But she doesn't hold a candle to Yoko.

Quote:

I don't believe in the Beatles

- John Lennon

Quote:

I don't believe in Yoko

- elrod-tom
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #53 of 61
Yoko Ono wins. Hands down.

Her voice sounds like somebody took a dog, a cat, and threw them in a malfunctioning dryer.

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #54 of 61
We almost have to split it into two categories as I see the first group (1). over taught, over coached, over managed, over recorded, over mixed, overdubbed, over engineered, and over marketed. Mix this with no true originality at all and combine that with mind bending marketing driven over playing out of every cheap speaker in the world.

(2) Then we have Yoko Ono. This person created annoying female vocalism and worked it as Michelangelo worked the Sistine Chapel driving herself and everyone around her mad in her conquest for annoyance perfection. Yoko was so powerfully annoying she actually could hypnotically force annoyance onto others musical talents. She changed genius's into babbling idiots at will including one of the greatest songwriters of the century to write and sing annoying music for her and others. Her annoying singing and attempts at annoying musical influence caused the breakup of the most popular band of the century. Yoko Ono was influenced by no one at any time.

The others all pale as cheap quirky imitators, highly influenced and exploited by others around them. Only able to imitate annoyance in short bursts for profit. Yoko was the essesance of annoyance and had it to the bone! Yoko will be the only one remembered 50 years from now and come up on the year 2153 list. I am still not sure Yoko was from this planet. She was at best the most annoying mutant of the century.

Mrs Miller scares me the way she is holding that mike. I would like that picture downsized quite a bit.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #55 of 61
Alanis, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Britney, Avril, Yoko, Natalie... they are all terrifying in their own way. Each singer has a unique frequency that rattles the victim's spinal cord, sending disruptive shockwaves throughout the entire central nervous system. Side effects include nausea, tremors, dizziness, temporary schizophrenia, and even seizures in severe cases.

Interestingly, playing the CD of each singer simultaneously through an amplified output device is an illegal act, as non-military personnel are not permitted to own lethal weapons of this sort. Known as the Sonic Helldiva Instrument Tone Generator Array (or ****BOX as it is informally known as within military circles), it is presently seeing action in the ongoing "Shock and Awe" campaign in Iraq. Thus far, none of the Iraqi troops have been "Awed", although many have been verifiably "Shocked" by the deadly shrieking noises it mercilessly generates. The ****BOX is believed to be the primary cause of the massive number of surrendering Iraqi troops, as many were spotted marching with their hands covering their ears rather than on top of their heads.

In order to protect friendly troops, special noise-cancelling earplugs have been issued. Similar in design to the isolating Etymotic ER4S headphones, the earplugs counter the deadly waveforms with musically superior ones... notably progressive rock tracks from the 1970's and electronic dub from the 1990's to the present time. Curiously, the vast majority of soldiers have been reluctant to return the earplugs, insisting that the countermeasures sound "totally freaking awesome".

In case you were wondering, I'm OK. Haven't lost my mind yet. Watching endless CNN feeds can do this to you... ack... ugh... need sleeeep...

Mar 22, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
In case you were wondering, I'm OK. Haven't lost my mind yet. Watching endless CNN feeds can do this to you... ack... ugh... need sleeeep...

As an antidote, I'd suggest watching the Fox News Channel.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Okay, I bought "Vespertine" today and [size=medium] I AM REINSTATING MY VOTE FOR BJORK [/size] as most annoying female....vocalist. I mean, she can sing, but she certain does more than her share of pointless yowling, droning on that album. (oh boy, I hope lobster san misses this one)

And then there's:

"I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him. I luf him." BJORK=YOKO

(Otherwise, it's a pretty cool album)
wink.gif

Grumble...
tongue.gif

We're all entitled to our opinions. I just like mine better than yours
biggrin.gif

About Bjork's accent: she grew up in Iceland, then she moved and lived in england for many years. this explains her strange brit-influenced icelandic accent.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #58 of 61
Sometimes I feel like I would like to bjork Bjork...then again, sometimes not. She has such a strange look. She has that "I am not from around here (i.e. Earth)" look to her that harkens to the Icelandic landscape. She does have a fun name though.

Oh, and lobstersan, don't lie....we all know that Scandinavians don't have an accent when they are speaking English...they speak it better than 98% of Americans.

Mar 22, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #59 of 61
Wow, how could this thread go on for three pages with no one mentioning Nico?! Her songs on vu & nico are automatic skips for me...

btw, Vespertine, and Bjork in general, is pretty great.

Mar 24, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #60 of 61
Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah carey the list, unfortunately goes on and on and on and on and......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back