Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total for Grados?
Apr 20, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
Im looking for a portable amp/DAC combo to go with my grados and AD700. Would this amp match these headphones well?

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes.

I have compared several amps with Grados, and my Lyrix Total Pro has enough current to feed the Grados well, while the HeadSix and Tomahawk weren't as happy to drive them. It also does well with my HD600, Ultrasones and Denon. I tried it with my ATH-W11R once, and it had no trouble driving them, but I didn't like the W11R as much as my ATH-D1000 so I sold them (the W11R, not the Lyrix).

One thing I should toss in is that my iBasso D2 (for the same price) drives the Grados as well, and the DAC renders more detail and air and ambience to the music. If you can get one with the opamp sockets, the D2 opamps can be swapped to have even more power and bass than stock.

Here is my review that might help: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...-lyrix-306883/

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks but I dont think I would want to swap opamps. Which amp has better soundstage/separation. Is the DAC much better on the iBasso D2. Does the ibasso D2 have a website I can order them from because I couldnt find anything. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 8
Headphone addict, what opamps would you recommed? Any specificly good for Grado? (getting the 325i's next week)

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks but I dont think I would want to swap opamps. Which amp has better soundstage/separation. Is the DAC much better on the iBasso D2. Does the ibasso D2 have a website I can order them from because I couldnt find anything. Thanks.

I said "my iBasso D2 (for the same price) drives the Grados as well, and the DAC renders more detail and air and ambience to the music". So, the more "ambience" gives it a better/more realistic soundstage. And, the D2 separation is better, as implied by when I said more "detail and air".

And, the D2 will power the Grados with the stock opamps just as well as the Lyrix. You only need to change opamps if you want more power, or want it to sound as good or better than a $500 Pico (depending on your ears and tastes, and it is also possible to make it sound worse).

The D2-Viper with removable opamps were a limited edition of 100 units, so the only way to get one is in the FS forums. Since you don't need to change opamps, the newer version with soldered in opamps should be found at Products (soon if not already listed as available).

Hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone addict, what opamps would you recommed? Any specificly good for Grado? (getting the 325i's next week)

I covered some opamp choices somewhere in my review, in a couple of places actually (one with what I settled on, and in another I posted everything I tried): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...-lyrix-306883/

I am currently using the LM6172 to replace the LT1364, and THS4032 to replace the NE5532 - both can be bought from HiFlight if you PM him. This adds more body and weight to the music, with richer less withdrawn mids, and more bass and good soundstage. I believe everyone who has tried that combo in the D2 has posted that it is better than stock.

The Lyrix Total pro is very good stock as an amp, but the DAC is not quite as good, and is holding it back - it is much better with my iMod via analog input than with my Macbook via USB, although the USB is still better than the Macbook or iPod headphone out.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said "my iBasso D2 (for the same price) drives the Grados as well, and the DAC renders more detail and air and ambience to the music". So, the more "ambience" gives it a better/more realistic soundstage. And, the D2 separation is better, as implied by when I said more "detail and air".

And, the D2 will power the Grados with the stock opamps just as well as the Lyrix. You only need to change opamps if you want more power, or want it to sound as good or better than a $500 Pico (depending on your ears and tastes, and it is also possible to make it sound worse).

The D2-Viper with removable opamps were a limited edition of 100 units, so the only way to get one is in the FS forums. Since you don't need to change opamps, the newer version with soldered in opamps should be found at Products (soon if not already listed as available).

Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks. One more thing. I dont know if you can help since you have the ath-d1000 but do you think they would drive the Audio Technica AD series well since they drive your D1000.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 8
My D1000 is a digital upsampling DAC/Amp headphone, so I feed it an optical signal from my laptop, portable CD or iRiver. When I had ATH-W11R I never tried them with it.

It seems to have enough power to drive most phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back