Headstage Lyrix Pro impressions?
May 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RuiCanela

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
redface.gif

Is it Headstage Lyrix Pro ( Headphonia.com - Headstage Lyrix Pro ) better than my "Caffeine Ultra" Amp?
How about sound quality? Is it good?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Do you think ist an upgrade to my "Caffeine Ultra" Amp?

RUI

May 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they are the same thing. just the cases are different. They are both made by the same guy.

I dont think so...
You made me disassemble my Penguinamp (...I can't say whitch task is worst, assemble or disassemble it!) And they look diferent.
This is Headstage Lyrix

And this in my Penguinamp

Maybe Headstage Lyrix Pro have a better bass preformance?
confused.gif

May 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I dont think so...
You made me disassemble my Penguinamp (...I can't say whitch task is worst, assemble or disassemble it!) And they look diferent.

Sorry about that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes your right, the lyris appears to have better caps and the charger bypass. The opamps are the same. I have the Lyris pro and like it and the bass is good on it. In reviews it competes well with higher priced amps. I just don't how much of an upgrade it would be over the penguin.

May 31, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I know is that Headstage amps are bright and loud. If those are qualities you already have in your Caffeine Ultra then you might want to look elsewhere.

My mileage varies, I don't find the lyris all that bright. But you are right, since they both use the same op-amp the sound sig probably won't be all that different.

May 31, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

My mileage varies, I don't find the lyris all that bright. But you are right, since they both use the same op-amp the sound sig probably won't be all that different.

My perception may be a bit skewed because at the time I was comparing the Lyrix to the Creek OBH-11 (which is dark and warm). Still I didn't like pairing my brighter cans (Goldring DR150 and Beyer DT880) with it because it was too much treble for me.

May 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 11
The Caffeine and the base model Headstage Lyrix are the same amp. The better Lyrix models are, obviously, better.

I own the old model Headphonia amp, which is pretty different from the current models, so I can't really say for sure how the current ones sound.

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I agree...I don't find my Lyrix to be bright at all. It is not with my e4c's & very far from it with the FutureSonics, but I also think Creative ZVMs run on the warm side too.

I was told by Robert, who makes these amps, that the sound signatures are ~somewhat similar to each other. Therefore it might not be a huge upgrade, but if you follow this link here "better deal". (look down @ the bottom of the page) It might make your decision easier than if you order from the link you have posted.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 11
I have the Caffeine Pro, Lyrix Pro, and Lyrix Pro Total.

The Caffeine Pro was the basis or "starting point" for the design of the Lyrix Pro, and the actual circuit topology is very similar (similar does not mean identical). The sound is also very similar once fully burned in, with very small (5%) increases in performance each time you move up the product line. My Caffeine Pro is very difficult to tell the difference in sound from my Meier HeadSix. The Lyrix Pro Total is easier to hear the difference, with a slightly bigger soundstage/headstage and transparency.

If a person thinks any of these amps above are too bright, I am fairly certain they wont like the Headamp Pico, iBasso D2, iBasso P2, iBasso D1, Meier HeadFive and HeadSix and 2MOVE, or RSA Tomahawk either. The Predator is only very slightly darker in tonality, but it's sound carries a lot of weight, like an amp 10x it's size.

Here are a couple of old reviews I did ages ago:

REVIEW: PenguinAmp Caffeine portable headphone amp w/BASS BOOST - Aka HEADSTAGE LYRIX

REVIEW: Headstage USB DAC Also Reviewed Meier HEADSIX, iBasso D1 and Headstage Lyrix

Deep link to the amp section review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/re...ml#post3398212

And a newer one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...-micro-306883/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back