Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,921 of 4,123

Quote:
iphone is an attractive device and also has been on my potential buy list, but one of the reasons I chose ipod touch4 instead of iphone4 was that I didn't want to put a cell phone WITH AN AMP on my cheek . Well, I also hear noise when wi-fi is on, but fortunately in a sense, I seldom do other things with ipod and keep the antennas off most of the time. Separating mp3player from cell phone might be good sometimes.

Off the issure of 'interference'. Can anyone give some technical or objective description on 'what Arrow does' other than just 'wow'? Without Arrow, music from ipod becomes dull and tasteless, regardless of the genre or beat of the song. Arrow sure gives life to music. But 'Arrow adds life' is so obscure an expression that I doubt if it would deliver any message to others who never heard of it.

At 0 settings, what do you think Arrow changes? Bass? highs? soundstage? or instruments separation? IMHO, none, significantly. Rather, the words I find fit for describing Arrow are vague ones such as resonance, texture, sentiment, as well as 'life', which will hardly help to the unexperienced. What would you say? :)

I have now compared multiple sources with the Fiio LOD including iphone 4, ipod mini (second generation), and the ipod nano-- 3 different generations.  The ipod mini (which has a Wolfson DAC) is clearly better than the iphone 4 in sound quality to me.  I replaced the battery in it with a kit from ebay, and now I can listen to all my music without worrying about turning on airplane mode. You can probably buy a mini dirt cheap because most people don't bother to replace the battery-- which can be done for less than $10 with a kit from ebay.  Of course there are other MP3 players out there like the Sansa that you can pick up for $40.  Of course you can argue that you don't want to carry two things, but if you band or velcro your mp3 player to the arrow, it's basically like carrying one thing. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,922 of 4,123
i haven't been updated with this thread for a while...

but did Rob increase the price on this thing a while ago?

i remember i was trying to save up for the DAC cable + the amp and it totaled to about $300...

now just the amp is $300. i guess it's really popular

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,924 of 4,123
Headphonia forums has been dead but it seems Rob's updating his main homepage where it is selling Arrow 4G now.
Reading features, I notice two points:

• Tight Bass Boost (0dB, 3dB, 9dB)
• Treble Boost Switch New!

I remember Rob asked the users if the bass boost lv2 is too much. Public opinion was on the positive maybe? And Treble booster is definitely a whole new thing. I've never seen any electronic gadget changing this quick according to customers' taste.

Below is a picture showing how I made my 'brick'. :)

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,925 of 4,123
I like the new increments.  I often find myself wanting something between '0' and 'I'.  I never use 'II'.  If treble boost can be as clean as the BB I'll be mightily impressed.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,926 of 4,123

I'm looking to do almost this same thing. Instead of a touch I'll be pairing it with a Nano 5G, and the new FiiO L9 LOD.

Razor thin portable setup. I'm excited.
Quote:
Headphonia forums has been dead but it seems Rob's updating his main homepage where it is selling Arrow 4G now.
Reading features, I notice two features:

• Tight Bass Boost (0dB, 3dB, 9dB)
• Treble Boost Switch New!

I remember Rob asked the users if the bass boost lv2 is too much. Public opinion was on the positive maybe? And Treble booster is definitely a whole new thing. I've never seen any electronic gadget changing this quick according to customers' taste.

Below is a picture on how I made my 'brick'.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,927 of 4,123
Damn, never saw that - I ordered the 3g on Friday, I'm guessing (hoping) I'll get the 4g instead

Quote:
i haven't been updated with this thread for a while...

but did Rob increase the price on this thing a while ago?

i remember i was trying to save up for the DAC cable + the amp and it totaled to about $300...

now just the amp is $300. i guess it's really popular

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #1,933 of 4,123
Just received a reply from Rob (i'll be getting the G3) he describes the difference between the two as 

The G4 will have lower bass boost, a treble boost switch instead of the impedance switch and a slightly lower gain setting (better for IEMs). Its not a better amp…just a little different that I guess will suit most listeners better

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #1,934 of 4,123

Sounds like I'd much prefer the 3G. Guess I know what to buy. :D
Quote:
Just received a reply from Rob (i'll be getting the G3) he describes the difference between the two as 

The G4 will have lower bass boost, a treble boost switch instead of the impedance switch and a slightly lower gain setting (better for IEMs). Its not a better amp…just a little different that I guess will suit most listeners better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back