Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,622 of 4,123
I only have about 15 hours on mine but I have already have heard improvements.  In the very beginning I was hearing a hint of graininess but that has gone away.  I'm looking forward to this amp as it continues to settle in.  It really is quite impressive what this little amp can do.  I haven't played much with the settings other than Gain to drive my DT990/600 and K701 (though I did try the bass boost with the AKGs - whoa!).  It provides a pretty transparent sound which I prefer since I rather let the sound sig of my headphones to dictate what I am hearing.  Therefore, all of my 'phones so far have paired quite nicely with the Arrow.  Haven't tried my RS-1s yet.  That will happen at some point this weekend.

I have to say, I absolutely love the auto on feature.  At first I thought it was a bit gimmicky but now...  When I turn on my iMod, it turns on the amp so there is 0 delay when the music starts which is what I was a bit concerned with.  There have been a number of times when I forgot to turn on my Pico and wondered for a second or two why I wasn't hearing music.  With the Arrow's idiot proof feature I don't have to think about it anymore.

Count me as one satisfied customer!  Looking forward to many listening sessions with my newly configured portable set up!

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,624 of 4,123
Thanks.

It is a sculpting compound about the consistency of clay.  You use equal parts of two, mix them together then sculpt with it.  It is non-conductive and cures overnight to a rock hard consistency.  I used it for my Pico/iMod combo LOD and the thing shows 0 signs of wear after several years of use.  Love the stuff.  Unfortunately, I am no sculptor so it isn't the prettiest thing in the world but it does the job.  You also have to get it right the first time.  There is no breaking it apart to save any resistors, capacitors, USB jacks or the 30 pin plug after it cures.  Um... don't ask me how I know that!

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,626 of 4,123

Quote:
SoulSyde, how does the arrow's crossfeed compare to the meier crossfeed on rockbox?

The Rockbox pseudo-Meier crossfeed is probably the best at maintaining the original SQ of the recording.  However, it's a very mild crossfeed, I have to really listen to notice the difference between it being On or Off.  The Arrow's crossfeed has stronger channel mixing (especially on setting "2").  It's the best I've heard when you need a powerful crossfeed.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #1,629 of 4,123
My order #3010's status is changed to Arrow 3G Shipped.
atsmile.gif

Isnt there any tracking number?

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #1,630 of 4,123
My Arrow 3G arrived on Friday:) I don't have a lod, just a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable half a meter long that I bought at Musica after I understood that sony X's included cable wasn't for ho or lo. Connected to Iphone 4 it can drive my dt990 600 ohms really really well with gain 3 and bass set to 1(otherwise dry sounding). Through my um3x gain 2 and bass 0 and love the sound. There is a slight hiss may be same or less than the X which doesn't bother at all. If I increase the imp all the added good detail in the upper range is disappearing especially when listening to ambient music. Now my um3x are performing 2 step up better. At bass set to 1 bass is too much. Now with all the improvements microdetail is amasing soundstage has more layers added to it. Actually one shouldn't write anything about them when listening to Second Sky ( 3am Salvation Mix ). Without any burn in and a lod this amp worths every penny and 3-4 months waiting time for me. Thank you Robert and you guys for putting this forward, its sound is addictive.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #1,631 of 4,123
finaly got mine
biggrin.gif
arrived a week after my order was shipped, unfortunately i can't use it because i am still waiting for my LOD.. i was surprised how small the amp is
eek.gif
...  i tried(just inserted them into the amp) my westone um3x and it hisses, but not to loud and it is silent with my akg 271 MK II though.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #1,632 of 4,123
Interesting that quite a few reports about hiss with the newer variants of the Arrow are popping up. All my phones that are more or less equally super-sensitive and hard to drive (UE11, SE530, etc) as the ones mentioned here, don't hiss at all with my Arrow 1G. I wonder what changes caused that in the new generations of the amp?

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #1,633 of 4,123
I guess it is the removal of the output resistor that is causing the hiss. But I think it is more transparent this way.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #1,635 of 4,123
I guess it is the removal of the output resistor that is causing the hiss. But I think it is more transparent this way as was mentioned in the change log ''better treble control''.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back