Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Dec 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #1,517 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:

So, you got your one !!! I hope a more detailed review than WOW, will be forthcoming.
smile.gif

Soon.  My Fuze finally died, so I ordered a J3 (which should be here next week).  After A/B'ing between the J3 and my Clip+ for a while I will give more thorough review.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #1,518 of 4,123
Is the DAC cable a worthy buy ?

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #1,519 of 4,123
Since a few days I have both 1G and 3G. I will return the 1G after the holidays. There is no obvious difference in sound quality or sound signature. Under torture I might admit that the (brand new) 3G has a tad more "glow" or warmth. I do not really believe in the benefit of hundreds of hours of "burn-in", but a subtile change might be possible. After all, replacing my 9 month old 1G by a brand new 3G with improved battery life was a no-brainer.

Note that the 3G has different gain settings, i.e. set to "gain I" 1G has 1.2dB and 3G has 6dB, about 1.5x louder. In other words even with HD580 (HD600), "gain I" is all I ever need. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #1,521 of 4,123
Dec 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,522 of 4,123

Quote:
Since a few days I have both 1G and 3G. I will return the 1G after the holidays. There is no obvious difference in sound quality or sound signature. Under torture I might admit that the (brand new) 3G has a tad more "glow" or warmth. I do not really believe in the benefit of hundreds of hours of "burn-in", but a subtile change might be possible. After all, replacing my 9 month old 1G by a brand new 3G with improved battery life was a no-brainer.

Note that the 3G has different gain settings, i.e. set to "gain I" 1G has 1.2dB and 3G has 6dB, about 1.5x louder. In other words even with HD580 (HD600), "gain I" is all I ever need. 

So no discernible treble extension between the two then?  How about the performance of the impedance switch?

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,523 of 4,123
I never bothered to "play" with the "imp" settings. No hiss or excessive sibilance on my headphones. I just cuts the highs a bit. "imp=II" on the G3 is about the same as "imp=I" on the G1.

The "bass boost = II" on the G3 is a tad deeper than on the G1, but by subjective feeling less than the nominal 3dB increase suggests. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,525 of 4,123
That's all I am hoping for, a subtle improvement. I wouldn't want him to re-invent the wheel with this thing as it's already fantastic.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,526 of 4,123

Quote:

That's nice. I thought that 1G is also slightly, dare I say "dry" 
deadhorse.gif
. But I'll still trade my 1G for 3G unless I smell 4G?

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #1,527 of 4,123
Picked up my Arrow today. Listening through iPod LOD and UE18 atm, and its not bad from first impressions. It is a tad dry on AC/DC, but we'll see. Too early to draw any firm conclusions.

The compact size means this is an amp I can actually comfortably carry around everywhere. Now I need a very, very small LOD though.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #1,530 of 4,123
*sniff* My G1 has auto on/off. *sniff*

Seriously, I think the difference is the G3 power is full auto all the time with no physical switch with a two minute signal timer. The G1 has the three-position "glowing proboscis" switch. I admit though, the G1 auto setting is a bit touchy.

Quote:
The auto on/off feature is awesome!  I would certainly be upgrading if I were a 1G owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back