Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Oct 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,036 of 4,123

Quote:
"...properly drive a 32 ohm Grado..." is certainly subjective.  As I mentioned, my RS-1s sounded very nice indeed through the Pico Slim but at reasonable listening levels, the volume was at 2/3.  It all depends on the intended use if the Slim suits one's needs.  There are a number of us that primarily listen via earphones when using a portable set-up.  For those, the Slim is a terrific option.  Trying to use the Slim to properly drive greater than 32 ohm headphones is not what it was intended to do so it shouldn't be considered a lesser amp because of it.  I think I'm somewhat of a minority in that I use my portable set-up more at home than on the road.  I like to be able to go into any room in my house and carry with me a quality source and amp to drive any of my ear and headphones.  I have been using my iMod/Pico for this purpose and has performed admirably.  But my Pico is showing its age and I'm having some issues with it that I am getting in touch with Headamp about.  The Arrow will replace my Pico at least for now till it is fixed.  I do like the lower profile of the Arrow so if I like its sound then I may sell off my Pico or use it with some other source.

I agree. "Properly" is, certainly, subjective. I was generalizing with a nod to us louder listeners. I'm in your camp with regard to portable setup use. I sit on the couch or my office chair with my Arrow and HD650s all the time. During my research phase, if I hadn't factored in a future headphones purchase, I would have gone for the Slim and I wouldn't have blamed it for my poor planning once I got more demanding phones. I don't doubt it would have been great with my IEMs. I just required an option that was more versatile. <<<KEY word when describing the Arrow.

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #1,038 of 4,123

Quote:
... I just required an option that was more versatile. <<<KEY word when describing the Arrow.

Agreed.  That is why I love my Pico.  Drives both my fav earphones as well as my fav headphones - DT990/600.  To get that kind of versatility in such a thin package like the Arrow is certainly appealing.  Looking forward to receiving mine. 
cool.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,039 of 4,123
[size=12pt]Hey guys I have a couple of questions:[/size]
  • [size=12pt]What is the purpose of the two headphone jacks? (Do people really use two headphone jacks at the same time (I guess it makes it easy for a friend to listen to the same tunes), will that decrease the power output that goes to each headphone???)[/size]
  • [size=12pt]What is the total power output of the Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G (High Efficiency)? (more than the pico slim?)[/size]
  • [size=12pt]Last question is kind of specific, does this amp work well when used with a headphone jack output instead of the more preferred Line-out, specifically the Cowon J3 (why does Cowon not just put a line-out in?)[/size]
[size=12pt]Thanks guys[/size]
[size=12pt]            Getting really close to putting in an order for this, what sounds like an awesome amp![/size]

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #1,040 of 4,123
Look, I accepted your apology, but I added that comment because you utterly failed to acknowledge any inappropriate actions on your part.  Moreover, you tried to justify those actions, so from that I inferred that your apology was quite reserved.

I understand why you contacted Robert, however it would have been polite to ask me first.  Unfortunately you chose to ignore a very basic standard of good conduct.

Apologies to all for my rants.

Quote:
One more parting jab after an apology....classy.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,041 of 4,123

He didn't do anything wrong, unless he named you specifically. This is a public thread and its purpose is to help potential customers decide whether or not they want to spend the $265 on this amp. You pointed out a problem you experienced with the product, and he, being a potential customer, investigated the issue further, utilizing the thread in the way it was intended for him to utilize. 
Quote:
Look, I accepted your apology, but I added that comment because you utterly failed to acknowledge any inappropriate actions on your part.  Moreover, you tried to justify those actions, so from that I inferred that your apology was quite reserved.

I understand why you contacted Robert, however it would have been polite to ask me first.  Unfortunately you chose to ignore a very basic standard of good conduct.

Apologies to all for my rants.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #1,042 of 4,123

Quote:
  • [size=12pt]What is the purpose of the two headphone jacks? (Do people really use two headphone jacks at the same time (I guess it makes it easy for a friend to listen to the same tunes), will that decrease the power output that goes to each headphone???)[/size]
  • [size=12pt]What is the total power output of the Headstage Arrow 12HE 2G (High Efficiency)? (more than the pico slim?)[/size]
  • [size=12pt]Last question is kind of specific, does this amp work well when used with a headphone jack output instead of the more preferred Line-out, specifically the Cowon J3 (why does Cowon not just put a line-out in?)[/size]
[size=12pt]Thanks guys[/size]
[size=12pt]            Getting really close to putting in an order for this, what sounds like an awesome amp![/size]

Party, good questions.

1. Orientation. Two outs provide greater flexibility and options when pairing with DAPs. You'd have to ask Rob about power distribution, but I'd say yes and no and that ties to question 2...
2. Variable voltage from 4V to 12V as needed. Back to 1. so, if you have two sets of IEMs plugged in and each require only 4V, it stands to reason the Arrow would output 8V total. With more demanding cans... you get the idea. 12V total output is 12V.
3. Yes, it works wonderfully with HOs. I've stopped worrying about the elusive and overrated LO (And I won't buy an iPod - period). The J3 has an excellent and powerful (29mW stereo) output. Don't worry about a "true" LO. You'll love the pairing of the J3 and the Arrow.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,043 of 4,123
Now I am being taken out of context.  She has one already actually and has done for longer that the rest of us.

I know I am annoying you (and probably others too) but I am not responsible for your emotional response.

I can see that you are new to this thread, and/or you haven't read it properly.

I don't want to drag anyone else into this and I don't want to waste any more of my or anyone else's time, so I'll not breath another word on the matter.

Quote:
He didn't do anything wrong, unless he named you specifically. This is a public thread and its purpose is to help potential customers decide whether or not they want to spend the $265 on this amp. You pointed out a problem you experienced with the product, and he, being a potential customer, investigated the issue further, utilizing the thread in the way it was intended for him to utilize. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #1,044 of 4,123

Quote:
  • [size=12pt]What is the purpose of the two headphone jacks? (Do people really use two headphone jacks at the same time (I guess it makes it easy for a friend to listen to the same tunes), will that decrease the power output that goes to each headphone???[/size]

The power does dip just a smidge but you have pleeenty left over unless you are driving 2 HD650s lol.  I have 3 uses for the dual outputs.

1- Friends
2-A/B
3-listening to one phone and burning in another.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #1,045 of 4,123
Personally, I'm looking forward to the two HOs.  I love to do A/B comparisons.

As for the LO vs HO?  Especially since I have an iMod, LO obviously, but I tend to recommend this generally.  The LO signal offers a less colored signal than HO.  It is an amp that is driving the HO and we all know how amps can bring their own sound sig to the party.  I rather leave that to an external amp and the 'phones they are driving.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #1,046 of 4,123
Thanks guys for all the input!

For the second question, can the power be described as mW? because it seems that most every other company describes it like this:
[size=small][size=small]250mW+250mW into 32. Everyone says the arrow has tons of power, so I would like to compare and just seem how much more etc.... Sorry if this is a dumb question..[/size][/size]

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #1,047 of 4,123
Not "Tons" of power, more like "micro-Tons". Also that rating is usually at 1kHz. Now it depends on the nominal impedance of your hp and its efficiency. The lower the impedance, the higher the current the amp has to provide, the higher the impedance the higher the voltage the hp has to deliver.

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the input!

For the second question, can the power be described as mW? because it seems that most every other company describes it like this:
[size=small][size=small]250mW+250mW into 32. Everyone says the arrow has tons of power, so I would like to compare and just seem how much more etc.... Sorry if this is a dumb question..[/size][/size]

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,048 of 4,123
[size=10pt]Don't want to go off topic, but what is the best way to compare power output then? Is it by volts? pico 4v and Arrow have variable 4v and 12v, 12v being more, so more power..???[/size]
[size=10pt]So then is it just best to use the arrow at the full 12v to get the best performance? and 4v if you want to conserve power or have a headset that does not need/benefit much from the 12v?[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks again! [/size]

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,049 of 4,123

Quote:
[size=10pt]Don't want to go off topic, but what is the best way to compare power output then? Is it by volts? pico 4v and Arrow have variable 4v and 12v, 12v being more, so more power..???[/size]
[size=10pt]So then is it just best to use the arrow at the full 12v to get the best performance? and 4v if you want to conserve power or have a headset that does not need/benefit much from the 12v?[/size]

Not to get uber-technical here, but Power = Watts.  In terms of electromagnetism (which applies to headphones and speakers) Volts and Amperes are what make a Watt (the formula is W = VA).  

You can have an amplifier with high voltage and low amperage that can have the same power (or wattage) as a amplifier with low voltage and high amperage.

So in order to describe Power you need both volts and amperes and then you can determine what the wattage is.

Oct 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #1,050 of 4,123

Quote:

Party, the only indication you'll receive with regard to voltage output on the Arrow is battery life. It's variable output so it's *mostly* transparent to the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back