Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
May 19, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #451 of 4,123
Even if I have the WiFi off on the iPod Touch, and only use WiFi on my laptop (which is what I do at home, since the amp + ipod sounds better than the IE8's straight out of the macbook pro... and I don't have that DAC cable), the laptop alone will still cause the buzzing and clicking. My apologies if I wasn't clear about that in any of my other posts.... basically any device with WiFi enabled, be it my laptop, or my girlfriend's laptop, will cause my Arrow to buzz/click through my IE8's.

Quote:
^^ if you are using WiFi with your iPod touch and the iPod touch is driving the amp, you will get noise. It has nothing at all to do with the amp - nothing. It has to do with Wifi. Use your lappy for wifi, and the iPod touch for music then. There is no amp/LOD or 3,5mm cable combo that will fix that. I've noted it in my iPod touch 2G one year on review and tried with many amps. Sorry, but you are stuck with the noise until you turn off Wifi from your iPod.

May 19, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #453 of 4,123
Hmm. I have a 3.5 male to male cable laying around and decided to test that out by eliminating the LOD, but as I was about to plug the 3.5 m-m plug in, I noticed that with just my headphones plugged into the amp alone, without anything else (amp is on, but no LOD, and no iPod connected to it), if I move the amp+headphone combo near my laptop wifi enabled or near my ipod touch w/ the WiFi enabled, it does the buzzing/clicking still. lol. Unfortunately, it looks like it really is the amp.

Thanks for the advice, btw. lol. This is driving me nuts.

Quote:
A LOD picks up more noise than a 3,5mm cable for some reason - that too could be a problem. I don't see how the amp, however, is at fault. It is made similarly to other amps. 

May 19, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #454 of 4,123
That would drive me nuts too. My iBasso T3 doesn't do that... but then I get lots of other interference in Korea. The wireless is so strong here that my cyclometer breaks down all the time and blue tooth connections stop working. Everyone with 3 mobiles does it.

May 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #455 of 4,123
Would the Arrow be a good match for the s:flo2? It ticks quite a few of the boxes (gain control as the LO is LOUD, bass boost, nice form factor, gets me the cleaner LO signal) and there's a lot of positive reviews here... but several people have said you need a portable amp over a certain quality to make it an upgrade in terms of SQ over the HO of the player. I've never owned a portable amp before so haven't been able to test this out myself. 
redface.gif

May 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #457 of 4,123
have you heard the s:flo2, dfkt? I'm asking because you seem to have a grudge against all chinese brands. Just because you didn't like the AMP3 doesn't mean all chinese mp3 players are bad...

clieOS rated it favorably, so it should be pretty good sound-wise

May 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #459 of 4,123
@ Shauntell47 re dfkt...

Just don't mention Nationite. OOPS! 
blink.gif

May 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #460 of 4,123

Quote:
I have also tested the Hifiman exhaustively (you can search for the relevant thread here and on ABI), but this is all rather off-topic for this thread.

Quote:
The Arrow would deserve a better player, but yeah, it sure should work.

So what would be the better players? Could you please provide some examples? 

May 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #461 of 4,123
I got the S:Flo2 for a steal, and it sounds better, clearly better, to me than the only two other sources I've owned - an old Sony NW-HD5 (selling on ebay, Head.Fi shout in there!) and my phone - the iPhone 3GS - all through the headphone out. When I got the Sony I paid over x2 what I did for the s:flo2, and although the iPhone is my phone more than a music source it also cost a lot more than the cheap s:flo2. The firmware was a bit pants, but I'm on 2.2 now and it's perfectly usable. There may be better sounding sources out there, but this is only my 3rd and it's an improvement over the last two, so I'm more than happy. I'm sure in 5 years I'll be using something else anyway, such is technology, but it's working great for me now. But yes, this isn't the thread for that.

The question mainly came from one person here saying he had bad synergy with the player and Arrow, but other posters said it was probably down to him not using the right settings... so I was hoping/waiting for others to give their impressions. It won't be for a while yet so it's not like I'm in a rush. :)

May 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #462 of 4,123

Quote:
@ Shauntell47 re dfkt...

Just don't mention Nationite. OOPS! 
blink.gif

Dur... I thought s:flo2 sounded awfully familiar. Was trying to be funny: FAIL. 
redface.gif

May 22, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #464 of 4,123

Quote:
The question mainly came from one person here saying he had bad synergy with the player and Arrow

If I remember correctly the comment was from a new member with one or two posts who has not been heard from since. A good portable player may not require amping but a good amp will not degrade the sound as this person posted.
(I happen to remember the post as it was so short (and ridiculous
rolleyes.gif
)

Just FYI.....I'm digging these Coppers with the Arrow..some thumping bass for IEMs and great mid-range/upper clarity. I can just imagine what those JH13s sound like if everyone's reviews of them are accurate. I'm glad they're customs so I can't hear them and be tempted
very_evil_smiley.gif
I wouldn't be sorry about my wallet...I just wouldn't have one!

May 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #465 of 4,123
^^ Sorry. Off topic... but Hellenback, have reviewed your new Coppers in another thread? How do you like them? They're your first pair of IEMs, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back