Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 26, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #211 of 4,123
Anyone tried using crossfeed with mono tracks like the Beetles? What's the result? I find mono tracks sorely lacking in soundstage and instrumental clarity (comparing the Beetles mono and stereo remastered tracks).. Does crossfeeding help in anyway?

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #212 of 4,123
I just noticed that there is now an owner's manual/user guide posted for the Arrow, very concise and informative; thanks for that Robert!

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #213 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how many of you are using the crossfeed feature?

I demoed both settings at first, didn't use either for awhile, and have come back to settle on setting I.

I leave it on all the time now as I think it improves imaging and decreases fatigue, I find it pleasantly "natural" I suppose.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #214 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by justanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried using crossfeed with mono tracks like the Beetles? What's the result? I find mono tracks sorely lacking in soundstage and instrumental clarity (comparing the Beetles mono and stereo remastered tracks).. Does crossfeeding help in anyway?

It didn't make sense to me that cross-feed would do anything for mono recordings, as the information in both channels is the same. Just in case I was missing something I checked for you with The Beatles mono and it makes no difference to my ears (as I had assumed). On the other hand, it greatly improves the listening experience over headphones with the earlier hard left/right separated "stereo" recordings. I find them almost intolerable without it. It really seems to be a matter of personal preference with most well recorded music. That's why it is nice to have as an option.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #215 of 4,123
Ah ok. Yeah my bad on the mono part.. was confused haha.

And yeah I have Beetles on those hard left/right "stereo" recordings too and they're really torturous to listen to on phones. Speakers they're fine.

Thanks for the clarification!
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #216 of 4,123
Kind of a silly question perhaps, but is anyone here using their Arrow w/ an LOD terminted w/ a Viablue 3.5mm mini connector? Looking at pics of the Viablue, the housing part LOOKS thicker, maybe even thicker than the Arrow? I wouldn't want to set my Arrow on a tabletop & have pressure put on the mini plug housing...

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #218 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a ViaBlue connector is bigger in diameter than the Arrow is thick!

Thanks...well, looks like I'll have to research how to replace a Viablue mini w/ something slimmer. Yeah, that probably sounds pathetic to a bunch of DIY'ers, but I am the least handy guy I know. LOL, I'm sure I'll screw this up...

I have an LOD on it's way to me, too late to change the order, and the vendor has already gone out of his way for me, so I'm not gonna ask him to take it back b/c I failed to research this before ordering.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #219 of 4,123
As long as you don't plan on laying something heavy on top of the amp, I don't think the very slight difference in width will cause a problem. I have a LOD and headphone plug that are slightly wider than the Arrow and it has not been an issue for me.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #220 of 4,123
is there any imbalance at low volumes when using IEM's? The Head six has some, the newer amps with digital volume don't have this issue.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #221 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldaustin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you don't plan on laying something heavy on top of the amp, I don't think the very slight difference in width will cause a problem. I have a LOD and headphone plug that are slightly wider than the Arrow and it has not been an issue for me.

I was just coming back here to ask that specific question, so thanks! Guess I can at least try it out for a while. I can always sell it here & get something else. I wish I had the skill/patience to make DIY LOD.

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #222 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any imbalance at low volumes when using IEM's? The Head six has some, the newer amps with digital volume don't have this issue.

I don't recall anyone mentioning that issue w/ the Arrow. I know I considered it for a bit when trying to decide between the Arrow & the Pico Slim. I then remembered I rarely listen at "low" volume (usually moderate, rarely "loud").

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #223 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks...well, looks like I'll have to research how to replace a Viablue mini w/ something slimmer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't want to set my Arrow on a tabletop & have pressure put on the mini plug housing...

If you're worried about sitting it on a table, you could try something like this:

SANY0047.JPG

Putting pads underneath plus velcro in between the amp and player would let you use the oversize viablue
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #224 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're worried about sitting it on a table, you could try something like this:

SANY0047.JPG

Putting pads underneath plus velcro in between the amp and player would let you use the oversize viablue
wink.gif

Ahh, yes, I didn't even consider that, thanks. I think I'll go that route.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #225 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine's steering a bit towards the left channel at the lowest (audible only in absolutely silent surroundings) volume levels, but it's not a channel imbalance that zig-zags from one channel to the other, it's constant. It's a very, very well behaved volume control, better than all my other amps with analog pots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back