Headstage Arrow Battery Problems?
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the Arrow for quite a few months now and love the amp, fantastic sound quality and stellar battery life.. till now. Now it seems to die out after five hours of playback at max, whereas it used to last me for weeks or even months on end per charge. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 24
Yeah man, I think most lithium-ion batteries are like that if you deep discharge and charge them. Maybe you should try to charge the battery more often instead.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 24
So if I deplete the charge before charging the battery, and do that six to seven times, the battery life will suddenly shrink by 90% for no fathomable reason? That does not seem likely..

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 24
As I know, If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined. To prolong the batteries lifespan, you want to charge the battery before it gets below a 20% charge or just charge it as often as possible. 

Quote:
So if I deplete the charge before charging the battery, and do that six to seven times, the battery life will suddenly shrink by 90% for no fathomable reason? That does not seem likely..

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 24
Oh? I have never known that. But anyway, the problem has been resolved. I dropped Rob a mail and he offered to send me a new amp, requesting that I send the old one back after it has been received. Excellent customer service here, I am extremely pleased :)

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 24
See my post on the same issue if you scroll down on this page:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574116/delivery-of-headstage-arrow-he-4g/30

Let the forum know if you get a replacement amp.  I sent Robert another email last week to see if I'm still on his list and have received no reply.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 24
I received a 4G amp to replace the second 3G that I had problems with.  Rob did come through as he said he would despite the few communications via email that I received.

I haven't had time to listen to it much yet.

It stays charged so far!

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 24
Giving an update, or rather the lack of it, no amp nor word from Rob ever since he promised to send out a new amp..

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 24
I left mine connected to the computer for about 8 months and the battery doesn't hold any charge now. :frowning2:

Oh well it doesn't seem too hard to replace when I want to use it as a portable player again.

Unfortunately the LED never seemed to work for charging/almost empty which makes it a bit hard.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 24

It's a shame that the most vocal seem to be the few who've had problems but I guess that's the nature of forums. The battery for the Arrow is just an iPod 4G battery so it's not hard to replace. Can't blame the amp for poor charging habits as the same thing happens to any iPod/PMP with a lithium-ion battery that isn't properly charged.

I've been using my 1G for nearly three years without battery (or any other) problems. I now have a 4G and it's an all round incredible amp. I've only heard this level of SQ/clarity with the Pico Slim but the Arrow works well with IEMs and full sized cans. It's form factor makes it like I'm not even carrying a portable amp when using it with a PMP. It just folds into my iPod leather"wallet" along with the iPod.

iPod + Arrow + case = 1" thick  (1.2"  incl. the middle retaining strap)

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

It's a shame that the most vocal seem to be the few who've had problems but I guess that's the nature of forums. The battery for the Arrow is just an iPod 4G battery so it's not hard to replace. Can't blame the amp for poor charging habits as the same thing happens to any iPod/PMP with a lithium-ion battery that isn't properly charged.

I've been using my 1G for nearly three years without battery (or any other) problems. I now have a 4G and it's an all round incredible amp. I've only heard this level of SQ/clarity with the Pico Slim but the Arrow works well with IEMs and full sized cans. It's form factor makes it like I'm not even carrying a portable amp when using it with a PMP. It just folds into my iPod leather"wallet" along with the iPod.

iPod + Arrow + case = 1" thick  (1.2"  incl. the middle retaining strap)

I think you misunderstand, I love everything about my Arrow but if the battery suddenly fails on me after a few months of using it and I am promised a new amp under warranty, it would be good if he were to make good on that promise. He could have offered to send a battery for me to replace it as well, I don't quite care how the problem is resolved as long as it IS resolved. But sitting around with a faulty amp on my hands is what irks me at the moment..

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I think you misunderstand, I love everything about my Arrow but if the battery suddenly fails on me after a few months of using it and I am promised a new amp under warranty, it would be good if he were to make good on that promise. He could have offered to send a battery for me to replace it as well, I don't quite care how the problem is resolved as long as it IS resolved. But sitting around with a faulty amp on my hands is what irks me at the moment..

As you said you had "...even months on end per charge" I guess the thread title was a bit misleading. It doesn't sound like you have an "Arrow battery problem",  just a well used battery that wore down over time with charging as they all do.

Send another email to info@headphonia.com . Mine usually get answered quite quickly. Don't know what else to suggest.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
As you said you had "...even months on end per charge" I guess the thread title was a bit misleading. It doesn't sound like you have an "Arrow battery problem",  just a well used battery that wore down over time with charging as they all do.

Send another email to info@headphonia.com . Mine usually get answered quite quickly. Don't know what else to suggest.

Mm if it were a gradual wearing down that'd be fine, but to go from a few weeks/one month per charge to two hours per charge in the span of a week looks like an abnormal problem to me.. last I remembered lithium ion batteries had lives longer than a few months. I emailed them asking for an update of the replacement amp's status and have yet to receive a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back